PDA

View Full Version : Wax

Coco
22-08-2009, 09:10 PM
What's this Mold-a wax thing Cooksons sell and how is it different to blocks of wax?

Lindyloo
22-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Moulding wax can be moulded with the fingers. Of course you get fingerprints on it, but it is good for organic shapes.

Coco
23-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks. Also is the Delft Modeling Clay something you can use easily at home or is it best used in an environment with people you can sue if it all goes tits up?:mwahaha:

Coco
23-08-2009, 12:23 PM
And what's wax sheet for?!!?!

All these waxes! Why can't there just be one kind of wax? :'(

Matp85
23-08-2009, 05:50 PM
i think its different color waxes are different strengths. if you need detail use hard wax so it doesn't break while using your tools or if you are just making shape and sculpting use soft wax so its easier to make curves etc.

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Delft modelling clay is quite easy to use at home, so long as you have a way to melt your silver. I don't use it at home, but used it quite easily at college, using a crucible and a big torch to melt the silver. It isn't good for all casting, for example, if you want to do a piece that's long and thin, you may have some trouble, because the silver will harden before it reaches the extremities. But for small pieces it works well. I used it very successfully for casting shells.

I have never used wax sheet, but I assume it is the same as other waxes, for thin pieces.