PDA

View Full Version : Flat Files

The Bijou Dragon
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Am thinking about buying a flat file for my silversmithing but wondered which would be the best grade for the job?

I'm going to be making (for now) simple rings and bangles using D wire and want it for sanding the edges for soldering and after soldering for cleaning up / filing off excess solder etc.

I know they go from 4 to 00 so would I get away with just getting a 2 for instance? Or would it be better to get more than one?

mizgeorge
28-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I'd get a couple of flat and a couple of needle files, half round is probably the most useful shape for what you're looking at. I generally use a 2 cut, then a 4 cut and finish off with micromesh or emery paper before polishing.

If you want to save some money to start with, needle files will do the job on their own, but will take longer.

agent_44
28-07-2009, 08:55 AM
All my files are 2 and I have a set of finer needle files. Between that and a load of grades of sandpaper and Dremel wheels, the cover all my needs at the moment.

Milomade
28-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I bought a standard flat file from B&Q - no idea what grade it is but I use it to file down excess bits here and there and then use smaller files to finish stuff off - I got a pack of 12 small files from CG and there's a whole range of sizes and shapes. I then use wet & dry paper in three different grades. I've also got some garryflex which I use to finish things off with.

The Bijou Dragon
28-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Forgot to check this thread... oops!

Thanks, I am currently using my OH's needle files and they seem to be doing the job.

Thanks for your imput, will probably get a 2 and a 4 by the looks of it!

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a twos for everything pretty much. But I know a very good jeweller who just uses cheap DIY files....
E