PDA

View Full Version : Metal suggestions please

nammie
30-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I've been asked by a friend to make a pentangle pendant. It has some very specific requirements, points of star not crossing the outwe circle etc. I think I can cope with these, the easiest method I think will be to cut it from sheet and refine it a bit. My problem is the choice of metal. The friend is unwilling to pay for silver and I'm unwilling to lash out and just try it with silver just in case I get a rune wrong. I'd feel quite comfortable making it in aluminium (can anodise and draw runes r!) But there is the worry that the piece will feel to light and cheap (friend's word, not mine). As the piece is to be worn next to the skin at all times I'm thinking copper and brass are out. Gilding metal sounded interesting but does that tarnish or mark skin too? Its also got lead in it, possibly not a long term wear item! . I'm a bit reluctant to work in steel as I'm imagining its going to be hard work (and or rust!).

Has anyone any thoughts or suggestions? Even if only to confirm or dispute my current plan of make it in aluminium and see what the reception is, then remake in silver if required...

Nammie

mizgeorge
30-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Copper would be fine if you oxidise it heavily and rub back - you can get a lovely, almost gunmetal, by doing this, and provided there's some movement it's unlikely to mark the skin. I'd probably use gilding metal, but bronze would be another nice option.

If you make it in aluminium, you'll probably need to find a way to weigh it down a bit - it would probably be too light to hang well otherwise. The other problem is that it's a lot harder to clean up aluminium really nicely after piercing, and it is likely to be fragile if you have any fine lines.

caroleallen
30-04-2013, 07:06 PM
But surely if you're going to go to all that effort to make it, it would be worth making it in silver. A small piece of silver wouldn't cost much.

mizgeorge
30-04-2013, 08:43 PM
But surely if you're going to go to all that effort to make it, it would be worth making it in silver. A small piece of silver wouldn't cost much.

Completely agree!! The real cost of a piece like this is not the metal!

nammie
30-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I do agree, silver would be much nicer. Unfortunately the friend wants a large pendant. Plus I think they may have an unreasonable idea of what "mates rates" are when it comes to my time...

pearlescence
01-05-2013, 07:03 AM
How much of a friend? Clearly not your lifelong best friend or you would not be asking.
I'd draw up a quote for silver and one other metal with which you feel comfortable (you are the skilled maker) showing mates rate and what you would normally charge for such an item. Let the person make an informed choice rather than leave it wooly. (The full price rates should be really full price, of course!)

Tabby66
01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
How much of a friend? Clearly not your lifelong best friend or you would not be asking.
I'd draw up a quote for silver and one other metal with which you feel comfortable (you are the skilled maker) showing mates rate and what you would normally charge for such an item. Let the person make an informed choice rather than leave it wooly. (The full price rates should be really full price, of course!)

Good advice and method of advising friends...............shall take it on board myself!!

caroleallen
02-05-2013, 12:44 AM
I think I'd also show her the two prices for the two metals with the silver being just slightly more than the base metal, saying that the cost is mostly for the work involved in making the piece. Don't sell yourself short.

josef1
02-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Silver is nicer to work with than aluminium I think and what you will spend on anodising will far out way the cost of silver.