PDA

View Full Version : Non ferrous

ps_bond
29-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I have just sheared 108 2" squares of 1.6mm copper, gilding metal and nickel silver :)

Quite a bit faster than using a jigsaw.

Patstone
29-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Well done, I have just made a ring and a pair of earrings, and spent most of the afternoon trying to find a parking space in the R D & E hospital in Exeter. Why oh why dont they put in a multi-storey carpark.

ps_bond
29-04-2013, 05:17 PM
That was using work's rather effective flatbed shear, so it's given me minimal edge distortion. If I use 18 layers per, that should give me enough material for 6 bowls...

Glad to say I don't know that hospital - but all the ones I've been familiar with have been determined to bankrupt patients. Once took someone to Reading A&E and waited 4 hours to be seen (on a quiet night - they "lost" the paperwork) with my car stuck in a pay & display bay.

Patstone
30-04-2013, 05:02 AM
I can beat that, I wasnt feeling well, thought I was having a heart attack, so drove myself to hospital A & E, parked the car, went into the hospital and got kept in for five days. That shear sounds effective, I wish they could make a handheld variety that left no edge distortion, I have two pairs now, and both leave marks.

Dennis
30-04-2013, 09:01 AM
That was using work's rather effective flatbed shear, so it's given me minimal edge distortion.

When ordering metal for the surround of my zigzag buckle in the thread posted today, I opted for a strip cut from sheet, rather than rectangular wire which comes off a reel.
In the event, this came twisted due to the shearing action and pinched along one side creating an unwanted bevel, which I hid at the back.

Hope you are feeling better now Pat, Dennis.

ps_bond
30-04-2013, 09:51 AM
It seems that RS have discontinued the guillotine I was using - 613 864. It's a 20" beast capable of doing 3mm aluminium, so my 1.6mm nickel silver wasn't a chore for it (although the nickel silver was the worst one to cut).

ps_bond
30-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Hmm. I haven't even got the metals cleaned for fusing and I seem to have picked up a commission for a mokume bowl...

Patstone
30-04-2013, 05:50 PM
The incident I was talking about was a few years back, it was actually a gallstone that had got stuck. The R D & E has now got enough of my body parts to almost make another person. Had never been into hospital in 60 years, then in the past five years, have had an eye removed, gall bladder removed, ovaries removed, so there isnt much more they can take and believe it or not I am completely healthy apart from high blood pressure, which is under control, so no problems, all is working fairly well.

When ordering metal for the surround of my zigzag buckle in the thread posted today, I opted for a strip cut from sheet, rather than rectangular wire which comes off a reel.
In the event, this came twisted due to the shearing action and pinched along one side creating an unwanted bevel, which I hid at the back.

Hope you are feeling better now Pat, Dennis.