PDA

View Full Version : Lead question ( as in the metal! )

Nick martin
21-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with lead at all?

One of my other hobbies ( cue the abuse! ) is metal detecting, and over the years I've found hundreds of interesting items made from lead amongst everything else.

Some of these lend themselves really well to pendants, or necklaces, especially as their commercial value is negligible ( although they are historically interesting ).

Im aware its pretty toxic, but if I was to use a piece as a pendant then can anyone suggest a good clear varnish or something similar that I could possibly coat it in so as not to deteriorate it, or affect the skin?

Thanks,

Nick

Exsecratio
29-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi Nick,

Many items dug up such as old type musket slugs and a number of other lead items are not basic lead, they contain various other heavy metals such as antimony or bismuth, the surface oxidises in a matter of seconds and can make adherence of surface coatings difficult.

Im aware its pretty toxic

It's extremely toxic, once it gets into the body it's deposited into the bones and teeth and has a cumulative effect. It also has a re-uptake effect where lead poisoning can manifest a number of years after ingestion / contact when the metal is liberated from the bones or teeth.

Great for making ammunition that's intended to kill people but a terrible choice for anything that's going to be worn next to the skin (no matter how it's coated)

best wishes

Dave

medusa
29-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Great for making ammunition that's intended to kill people but a terrible choice for anything that's going to be worn next to the skin (no matter how it's coated)

best wishes

Dave

unless it's a gift for someone you don't really like?

ps_bond
29-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I knew some divers who had weights cast from lead shot they had removed from the deck of the Volnay (WW1 ship sunk by a mine in 1914 and carrying anti-personnel shells). They waxed lyrical about the fact that unlike shop-bought weights, these didn't dent much. They went a bit quiet when I explained why they didn't (mostly the antimony) and why it had been added...

Nick martin
21-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Im a bit late with my reply but suffice to say, I think I'll most definately avoid working with my lead artefacts after reading this!

Thanks as always,

Nick

Dennis
22-06-2013, 11:28 AM
That said, some people still use lead blocks for forming organic shapes on, as in chasing and repoussé. Unfortunately to do this you have to melt it into a form such as a shallow tobacco tin and while heating and pouring it, it will be in it's most toxic state.

Maybe James miller will add to this as it is more up his street. Dennis

SteveLAO
24-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Before making jewellery etc using lead you must be aware of the currently regulations regarding its use!

Lead and its compounds are toxic even at low levels of exposure, so lead will therefore be subject to EU REACH Directive 836/2012 from October 2013. Lead and its compounds must not be present in jewellery articles in quantities >0.05% by weight. Non-metallic component parts are also included but crystal glass, precious and semi-precious stones are not unless they are treated with Lead compounds.