PDA

View Full Version : Lucie

Lucie
17-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi. Does anyone here know of the best place to get daily updates on the price of sterling silver, 9ct and 18ct gold?

Basically; Customers usually email me for a price on a piece of bespoke jewellery - I try to slot the "price of the day" into my calculation. Problem is; I don;t want to phone & pester my caster for the silver / gold price every time someone makes an enquiry.

I had a whole bunch of bits cast up about a month ago and I was charged metal prices as follows:
£0.84 (g silver)
£16.31 (g 9ct yellow gold)
£33.37 (g 18ct yellow gold)

These figures don't seem to bear any resemblance to the figures on the Cookson site from a month ago.
The Cookson site gives the "gold" price , but does not break it down further than that??

If anyone can shed any light on my mystery, it would be very welcome! Thank you. :o

Goldsmith
17-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Lucie try looking at the daily casting grain price on Cookson's site; http://www.cooksongold.com/Grain-and-Casting-Pieces/ and this will give an approximate daily metal costs for your purpose, don't forget to add VAT to these costs. Then you have your casting costs. Cookson's today's prices show silver casting grain at approx. £0.52 per gram.plus VAT. but your caster may charge more!

James

Lucie
17-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi James,

Thank you very much for getting back & for the advice. I'm guessing that as my figures are high even when the vat is added, the caster is probably adding a bit on top. I guess i'll have to give them a call to see if their adding a set %.
Thanks again,

Lucie.