PDA

View Full Version : Rock, Gem N Bead Shows

Patstone
11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Just to let you know the next Rock, Gem 'n' Bead Show is in Newton Abbot Racecourse, opposite Tesco. For all you people who live in Devon its a good show to go to, lots to see, and buy. There is another one in September or October but that is the Bead 'n' Gem show which has mostly beads.

Dennis
11-04-2013, 09:15 AM
I hope you've just been away Pat, not unwell. The last R n G show at Kempton park had no dedicated gem dealers at all, mostly rocks, beads and made jewellery, so I had a long drive for nothing.

Hopefully yours will be better. Regards, Dennis.

Patstone
11-04-2013, 10:21 AM
I hope you've just been away Pat, not unwell. The last R n G show at Kempton park had no dedicated gem dealers at all, mostly rocks, beads and made jewellery, so I had a long drive for nothing.

Hopefully yours will be better. Regards, Dennis.

I went to the gadget show, back to exeter again then down to southampton for a wedding. On the first day started a cold, which just got worse. Today i can breathe which is nice, but still coughing.

louisella76
11-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks Pat, will have to look into that :)

Patstone
12-04-2013, 05:33 AM
I think we are going on the Saturday but not sure, we could meet up if you want.

louisella76
12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I had hoped it was on today as I have friends staying this weekend so can't go tomorrow or Sunday, hope you enjoy it Pat :)

lilacmonkey
13-04-2013, 08:50 AM
need to go to one of these shows to see what rough rock is available

Wallace
13-04-2013, 11:02 AM
they have them all over the place Stu. Bath & West Showground is coming up in June

http://www.rockngem.co.uk/show-dates.html

Patstone
14-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Went to the Rock n Gem show at Newton Abbot yesterday. Most of the stuff was either "mystical" displays or cheap stuff that people had bought in to sell, there were a lot of beads (if you are interested in beads that is) but not a lot else. There were a couple of stalls selling cabs, but about £9 for an amber 8mm x 5mm and nothing to write home about, very shallow and not worth bothering about. Its the first time I have come away without buying anything, and I have been twice a year for the last three years. Very disappointing. There used to be a chap that we regularly used to buy from, I think his name was Marcus, but the business was owned by his mother or mother-in-law and she was against the internet as a way of selling, he gave me his card but as it was not in his name, I dont know which one it is, plus not sure which part of the country he came from, but his stones both cabs and facetted were lovely, nice deep cabs with glorious colours, if anyone knows who or where he is please tell me, as he isnt at the show now. I seem to remember him saying his mother was called Margot, or Margaret, or something like that.

Goldsmith
14-04-2013, 06:57 AM
The only person I can remember called Marcus at the Rock n Gem shows, was Marcus McCallum; http://www.marcusmccallum.com/ he sells nice stones.

James

Patstone
14-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I think thats him James, I have emailed him anyway and asked for an account. I know that if its the same chappie his cabs were a reasonable price for the quality of the stone. Never bought faceted stones from him as it was before I learned how to set them.

Goldsmith
14-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I think thats him James, I have emailed him anyway and asked for an account. I know that if its the same chappie his cabs were a reasonable price for the quality of the stone. Never bought faceted stones from him as it was before I learned how to set them.

I have bought a lot of nice cabs and other stones from here; http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/trade/index.html ,it's worth registering with them also. They used to be known as Hilton Bros. or Hilton Jewels. They can be very helpful if you want specials. They will email you photos of items from their special stones stock if you need them. I bought a batch of reasonably priced square facetted emeralds from them for a restoration job I was working on a while back, and all of the cabs used in my daughter's rings came from them.

James

SilverBouillon
14-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Went to the Rock n Gem show at Newton Abbot yesterday. Most of the stuff was either "mystical" displays or cheap stuff that people had bought in to sell, there were a lot of beads (if you are interested in beads that is) but not a lot else.

I checked the bead show here in Miami last week. First time since I've been visiting bead shows about 6-7 years ago. Things changed. The show is not as big as before, and the location is pretty cheap, but the parking and admission cost were not.
I don't mind the location, but the stuff was cheap as well: all that China "natural" beads, ugly pearls, a bit nice, but overpriced larimar beads from Chinese re-seller, no cabs, no gems. Plenty of metal components, low quality silver finding. I have not seen any non treated turquoise, only resin coated.
Very disappointing.

Patstone
15-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I have found the persons name I think, its Helen Carter. I have a phone number but there is nobody answering it. Looked back on the Rock n Gem show website, but I cant find any website for her. I know she has either a son or son-in-law that went to the shows, he was about 50 years old I should think, I have never met her though, she hasnt attended the shows I have been to. If anyone knows of her please give me a shout.

The only person I can remember called Marcus at the Rock n Gem shows, was Marcus McCallum; http://www.marcusmccallum.com/ he sells nice stones.

James

Crystal Clarke
16-04-2013, 08:46 AM
I love the Rock N Gem Shows, I usually go to the Cheltenham Show and also now the Copthorne Hotel Dudley Show which was a new venue started last year :-)

Patstone
17-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks James, I have bought stuff from there before but not much. I must admit I buy most of the cabs I use from Kernowcraft, I find that they are consistent with quality, but if you want something a bit unusual Rock n Gem Shows seem to have them. I will have another look at them, another good supplier is Julia from Joopy Gems in Hong Kong, her stones are really nice, and the quality is good, nice deep stones, and for the distance they have to travel is quite quick too.

Mostly
I have bought a lot of nice cabs and other stones from here; http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/trade/index.html ,it's worth registering with them also. They used to be known as Hilton Bros. or Hilton Jewels. They can be very helpful if you want specials. They will email you photos of items from their special stones stock if you need them. I bought a batch of reasonably priced square facetted emeralds from them for a restoration job I was working on a while back, and all of the cabs used in my daughter's rings came from them.

James