PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your metals?

SilverBouillon
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I have silver stock in wires, tubes, and sheets. Tubes and sheets are not a problem, but wires are a pain because I keep all different sizes and shapes in original plastic bags with tags on it at one box. Checking all of those packages all the time to find the right one is a pain. I need better solution.

How do you keep your metal stock in the studio for the fast access?

snow_imp
10-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Can't answer your question as I am in the same boat as you for organising my wire - waiting to hear what other people say too.

ps_bond
10-04-2013, 02:51 PM
My purchased wire I keep bagged in an expanding file. Each size in its own partition, labelled.

Slightly less useful with short lengths I've drawn - they tend to slip under the partitions.

SilverBouillon
10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not alone :)
Peter, files are interesting idea, thanks.
As for short lengths, I don't have that problem yet, but will soon :)
Another problem will small finding, finished and unfinished. It will save so much time (I guess) when making components ones for certain "collection line", then to have them ready for assembling.

PS. I just took a look at plastic CD covers. :idea: Need to try...

caroleallen
10-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I hang mine on the wall on hooks with a sticker on the wall saying the size. Easy for me though as I work in a wooden construction.

SilverBouillon
10-04-2013, 04:38 PM
I took old CD covers (not slim ones), took apart and removed inside disc holder part. It would be an ideal to leave it for wire, but in our humid climate I need to keep wires in plastic bag in addition to the box. For gold wire it would be easier.

Only big gauge like 12g did not fit. The rest goes just well. Need to finish wire library :) print the labels on the side and put on the shelf. Problem solved!

susieq
10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I write the size on the edge of a piece of masking tape in fine permanent marker, snip the tape off and then double it over one end of the wire so it sticks to itself and the wire. Use the wire up from the other side so the label stays on until the bitter end.

Usually then just pop it back in the plastic bag it came in.

Susie

snow_imp
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Hm, decisions to make now. I think I have both a spare file holder and some cd cases - think I'll play around with them both. Thanks for the suggestions.

mizgeorge
11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Goodness you lot are organised.

I just have a drawer for wire (in bags by size with big sharpie writing to identify) and a drawer for sheet and tube. And a very small drawer for gold.....

SilverBouillon
11-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I write the size on the edge of a piece of masking tape in fine permanent marker, snip the tape off and then double it over one end of the wire so it sticks to itself and the wire. Use the wire up from the other side so the label stays on until the bitter end.

Susie, I keep forgetting to do that, and yesterday I needed to measure thin gauge wires because I misplaced them in the wrong packages. Thanks for reminding.

SilverBouillon
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Nope, I'm not tidy person at all. However, I noticed how easy it is to go in mess with jewelry making, and I do all the time. Plus, having just a regular table instead of jewelry workbench contributes in mess a lot. I also got one rule instantly as go: clean-clean-clean during the work, and it's hard to keep clean messy space.

sonia
14-04-2013, 10:55 AM
I keep all my wires, sheet, tube etc in ziplock bags with large writing on them in a "very useful" box, that i've put dividers in - round wire, square wire, silver sheet etc. It makes it easy to find what i need.

bilythepink
15-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I keep mine in little rig wallets that my husband uses for fishing (a bit like these ones) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BZS-10-pocket-sea-fishing-wallet-rigs-pockets-wallet-sea-tackle-/350739701439?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item51a9b71ebf

They are quite cheap and all the ziploc bags are attached together inside (I have found the more you pay the better the ziploc is though). I just write the guage on each bag and they are great for keeping all the little pieces separate too.

Patstone
15-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Here here, exactly what I do. Only I dont buy gold YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just have a drawer for wire (in bags by size with big sharpie writing to identify) and a drawer for sheet and tube. And a very small drawer for gold.....