PDA

View Full Version : Paris

Matp85
21-08-2009, 07:19 PM
just booked up to go to paris for 3 days never been before so was wondering has anyone been and what do they recommend to go see, eat or shop!

I will be trying to find every jewellery shop (if the misses lets me) to see if design changes with culture will be interesting to see!

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Lomg time since i have been to Paris but it was beautiful :D

agent_44
21-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I've always wanted to see the Catacombs: http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_catacombs but not sure it is everyone;s cup of tea!

Charlotte
21-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I've been a few times... but many years ago, and like you I've only been for short periods so have had a cram packed few days there. I went to the louvre, lovely building, good to see the Mona Lisa but too much to take in really. Took a trip up the river Seine which was lovely. Went to the Picasso museum. Rodin musem. It was all good, but I'm a sucker for wondering the shops and markets and drinking coffee outside a cafe... that's what I would recommend!

Matp85
21-08-2009, 07:32 PM
hate tea and coffee :P so that wont be happening but i will be going to the museums etc and the catacombs look brilliant! i will be going there!

Lindyloo
21-08-2009, 07:36 PM
OMG I am soooo jealous. I have been to Paris several times. It's my all-time favourite city in the world. <3<3 My OH and I used to go every year for our anniversary. We used to visit a beautiful jewellery shop near the George Pompidou Centre every time - oh and of course, we just had to buy something. It was sort of ethnic/african jewellery. But last time we went, after many years not going (since the kids dammit) and we discovered the shop gone. What a disappointment.

But there are so many places to see. I really recommend the bottom floor of the Louvre. It is all the ancient stuff, and it was gobsmacking to see how old all the well known jewellery techniques we use today actually are. And the skill with which they were executed with such ancient tools is amazing.

Also I loved the Musee D'Orsay. On the top floor they have a few galleries full of georgeous Art Nouveau furniture, and objects, which I find so inspirational. I could go on, but those are just my two favourites. Oh actually, there is a georgeous little market behind one of the metro stations. I discovered it when I got lost with my daughter last time we visited. Now can I remember which one? Just hold on, while I look up my photos. Nope, I have to log off and onto my account. Be back in a bit.

Linda

Charlotte
21-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Can you speak French? The people are a bit weird in Paris, not like the Geordies;) I especially found the folk on the metro weird and found it best not to make eye contact;) Have a look up on google what's in Paris and make a list of names and addresses because a lot of things are pretty hidden and get a map. Everything I planned was awesome, you just have to find what suits your tastes.

...oh and watch it crossing the roads... they won't stop for you;)

Lindyloo
21-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Got it. It's the metro at Il de la Cite.

Matp85
21-08-2009, 07:48 PM
hmmm i cant speak french but will learn some phrases, but the french dont scare me at all.

and i think little markets are a must aswell!

and yes us geordies are very non weird :P

Charlotte
21-08-2009, 07:50 PM
All Geordies are lovely... unless you go in Tesco in west Jesmond... thats like the evil centre of Newcastle:-"

Charlotte
23-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Omg, Jason it is isn't it, I'm obsessed with cakes and bakeries (my dad's a baker and I grew up living above our shop and I worked a couple of years as a wedding cake maker), and France knows how to do pastry better than anyone.

Di Sandland
23-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Back in 1987/1988 we lived on the outskirts of Paris for a whole year - a place called La Celle St Cloud. Just the other side of Versailles, where we passed the palace on most days.

I loved it but I was glad to get home. In general I found the Parisiennes to be rude and unfriendly but, I suppose, that's a bit like most major cities.

The atmosphere though, that was incredible. We were there for Keith's work and so I had most days to myself. Even though I had a little one, we went a week after Tom's first birthday, I travelled the length and breadth of the metro.

Now I'm lost in the realms of nostalgia and can't remember the initial question, so I'll have to use this:

:0to+:

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Charlotte I could live on pain au chocolat, croissants, brioche, tarte tatin and anything else like it. LOL

I'm a pastry freak, fortunately I can eat as much as I like and it doesn't affect my waistline. *runs for cover from dieting women*

I need a *smack* emote and a *hits on the head with a hammer* emote :-"

MuranoSilver
23-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Oh my you guys n gals make Paris sound wonderful -
I went once but found it was full of French people :-"
The Italians seem to prefer me to the French...go figure :D
Nic x

Di Sandland
23-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh my you guys n gals make Paris sound wonderful -
I went once but found it was full of French people :-"
The Italians seem to prefer me to the French...go figure :D
Nic x

I don't think the French are keen on people (er women) who dare to think they're not the bees knees. Of course, this might just be the old French/English disharmony thing...

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 09:19 PM
It's a state of mind. I think French women are brought up to think they are wonderful. And there's something wonderful about that. Women could certainly do with a boost. But I can't be getting on with people who can't see their own faults. It's like they lack a sense of humour.

AlexandraBuckle
24-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I went to Paris while i was doing A level French and everyone kept speaking English to me :confused: Not very helpful! Lol!

There are some lovely sights though. If you love Impressionists work (like me), the Musee D'Orsay is a must!

Charlotte
24-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Charlotte I could live on pain au chocolat, croissants, brioche, tarte tatin and anything else like it. LOL

I'm a pastry freak, fortunately I can eat as much as I like and it doesn't affect my waistline. *runs for cover from dieting women*

One of my fave french things ever is "Calissons", little diamond shaped almond treats from Aix in provence, we usually buy them from bienmanger but the shipping is astronomical, it is always better when Philippe's (OH) uncle Jean-Mark comes over from France and brings them with them. *dreams of gorging on calissons"

I love cooking too, always in the kitchen and am quite accomplished at baking and alsorts, Philippe's mum is a coeliac so I have had to teach myself how to make coeliac pastry and wheat and gluten free meals and my mum is diabetic, so when it comes to entertaining I can cater for anyone.

Don't you just love the smell of freshly baked bread and cakes. If you could bottle that smell I would wear it. LOL

PS I want to see pics of the wedding cake when you tie the knot, my younger brother was married last month and they had a castle cake and it was incredible.
We totally have the same taste... although saying that there aren't many things in the pastry world that I don't get on with;) Chocolate brioche (sorry Su!) and pan aux chocolat are my faves. I would love to try some calissons, almonds are the best nuts!

I've had to curb the baking a little since moving to Newcastle as I'm not lucky like you with the waistline and have been on a diet for a long time. When I was younger I could bake anything and dad would let me sell it in the shop.

I love the smell of baking, I miss waking up to it and nipping down to the shop in the morning for so fresh its still hot and squashy bread;) THE best smell (and probably taste) is fresh fruit loaf... very underrated for some reason!

I've tried not to stress dad out about our wedding cake, as you can imagine its very important to him and if he wasn't happy with it he could end up not enjoying himself on the day... so I've opted for cupcakes, this means we can all get involved (me, dad and my sisters) and just have fun and go completely over the top. So I think it'll look cool and taste fab but I have no idea how it will turn out visually. We'll see, I'm going ebay crazy looking for cases, recipes and decorations.

I found the people in France a little hostile, but if they decide they like you then they are lovely... just don't argue with a French person, they LOVE to argue;)

AlexandraBuckle
24-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I've tried not to stress dad out about our wedding cake, as you can imagine its very important to him and if he wasn't happy with it he could end up not enjoying himself on the day... so I've opted for cupcakes, this means we can all get involved (me, dad and my sisters) and just have fun and go completely over the top. So I think it'll look cool and taste fab but I have no idea how it will turn out visually. We'll see, I'm going ebay crazy looking for cases, recipes and decorations.

We shall have to swap wedding pics :) I'd like to see your cupcakes (!)
Not long now is it!! Eeek!

Charlotte
24-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I know! How much have you got left to do? I have cake, music and vows... I think thats it, still scary, we're going to be 'Mrs'!;) I've got a friend who will be the photographer so I'll make an album on here or something, can't wait to see yours!

bustagasket
24-08-2009, 09:42 AM
All these weddings!!!! Mine was over 26 years ago lmao, i am sure they will all go beautifully tho, and yes we wanna see pics of EVERYTHING!!

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 03:07 PM
And any spare cupcakes - we're only a postbag away :Y:
Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
24-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I know! How much have you got left to do? I have cake, music and vows... I think thats it, still scary, we're going to be 'Mrs'!;) I've got a friend who will be the photographer so I'll make an album on here or something, can't wait to see yours!

Seeing the registrar and venue on Wednesday to finalise ceremony and menu and i have my hair and makeup trial on Friday.
Then need to discuss music with DJ and finish my bridesmaids jewellery :)

Then I need to chill out for a week or two!

My mum is doing the cake (though i know its nowhere near finished yet!)

I'm getting quite scared!

CyberPaddy66
24-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Been to Paris a few time (passing through) as the ex was French... I find on the whole if you at least attempt to speak their language their attitudes towards you change dramatically for the better but even the rest of France think the Parisians (I know a few) are stuck up snobs :lol:

EmmaRose
25-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Musee D'Orsay for sure.
And for jewellery (can't believe no-one has said this!):
Les musee des art decoratifs on rue rivoli (no 107) http://www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/english-439/
they have a FABULOUS jewellery gallery!!
jewellery galleries (I haven't been to these so can't vouch for them!)
http://www.elsa-vanier.fr/gallery-jewels-designers.php
http://www.galerie-helene-poree.com/
Em