PDA

View Full Version : the troublesome bracelet now

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 04:41 PM
well after all todays problems i thought i would show you how it looks now. I decided on a twisted wire toggle and so thats all attached and just for the illusion i have placed the tiny cabuchons where they will go when i get shown how to make the settings. Hope it was worth all the aggro i gave you lol

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7fL7VGe2P9s/So7NvHH0JII/AAAAAAAAAHk/YjbPqa-NCx0/s640/21082009270.jpg

I really need to be able to get better photos, my camera is meant to be a good one, but i really notice it with jewellery photos lol

Constructive critisism most welcome, i know i have a lot to learn yet :D[[]]

julie
21-08-2009, 04:47 PM
very nice , love the toggle came out good :Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
21-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Looking good Su'. I bet you're itching to get those cabs in place!! All the aggro will be worth it in the end when you tell people 'I made that'!!

Clever girl!!:))):dancing::)))

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Looking good Su'. I bet you're itching to get those cabs in place!! All the aggro will be worth it in the end when you tell people 'I made that'!!

Clever girl!!:))):dancing::)))

Yeah i am but i got a long wait. Still it will give me time to make sure all the edges are nice and clean up the solder markin on the one teardrop that gave me aggro lol

The Bijou Dragon
21-08-2009, 05:07 PM
That looks lovely!!! I love the little cabs on the bow ties!!

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks very much. lots of cleaning up to do but its turning out the delicate bracelet that i wanted :D

Lindyloo
21-08-2009, 05:20 PM
That's lovely Su. Are you sure you have your camera set to macro?

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 05:45 PM
it never seems to make any difference to me lmao

agent_44
21-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Looks good to me, can't wait to see it finished!

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 06:26 PM
thanks hun :D

Di Sandland
21-08-2009, 06:57 PM
that's really nice - I always admire folk who can do delicate. I can't do delicate :(

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 07:01 PM
that's really nice - I always admire folk who can do delicate. I can't do delicate :(

Thats half my trouble i like delicate which makes thing bloody difficult lol But thanks very much :D

caroleallen
21-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Very pretty and well worth the effort.

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 09:08 PM
thank you very much :D

Charlotte
21-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Its beautiful, I can't wait to see it finished! How long do I have to wait?;)

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 09:36 PM
i dont know how to set the cabuchons yet, have to wait til i go back to college and thats not restarting til 22nd september :(( and thats only if i can get the attention of the tutor in the first night :(

The Dragon
21-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I shouldn't be saying this but you could tell him/her that you have several interested parties who want to see the finished piece, just don't tell him/her it's us, let him think it's customers. Gush about how wonderful it is for one of his/her students to get so much interest in a work in progress piece.

God I sound awful don't I - not so much a lie as an admission. (fingers crossed behind my back) [-o<

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 10:10 PM
lmao sneakyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol well they do say that flatter get your everywhere lol

mizgeorge
22-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I love the design, though I think I would have wanted to get the cabs set before putting it all together!

If I'm going to be totally honest, I'm not keen on the twisted wire toggle. It doesn't 'go' with any other part of the design (perhaps if you'd had twisted jump rings for the links). A plain (perhaps square wire) toggle, maybe in an oval shape, might be more in keeping with the rest of the piece.

I think you've done brilliantly to get this far Su' :)

bustagasket
22-08-2009, 10:00 AM
i ummed and arghhed about the clasp and its true, there is no other twisted bit but these things come with experience and having not made a clasp of any description before and not wanting to wait til i go back to college i had to just do what i could to try and think of something. I saw the twisted wire technique and wanted to try it so i thought i would make the toggle using it. I still like it, and i have lots of experiments yet to try, whether they work or not is another matter :-p

Point of note, this is the first piece of silver jewellery i have attempted, unless you count a silver keyring lol, so there are plenty of errors and a lack of quality, but it has allowed me to practise precision sawing, lots and lots of jumpring making, heaps of soldering, and will let me set a couple of stones and make my first clasp. So it has been a huge learning experience , and just to come up with something that vaguely looks wearable will make me quite chuffed with myself. :D

bustagasket
22-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Been having a think about your comment George, and i think i will add a twisted link in between the two plain ones, i wont take any off, just add a third one so that it makes the design flow. :) Thank you.

Chanters
23-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I wish I could cut out silver as good as you. I have been working with silver for 2 years but am rubbish with a piercing saw. That is really lovely work I cant wait 2 c it finished.

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Thank you very much, i can see a lot thats wrong with the sawing cos i expected them all to be exactly the same, but i guss that comes with expereience and as we do make these things "freehand" i spose they are all likely to be slightly different

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm amazed you made your own toggle as personally I baulked at the task but having seen the way your piece turned out I think I'm going to give it a go, well done :D

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 02:43 PM
the twisted wire is so easy- i cut a length of wire, folded it in half and then stuck the loos ends in a drill and my round pliers in the loopsed and and then turned it on and it whizzed it up in a second!

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 03:06 PM
What gauge wire did you use and do you find it's strong enough to avoid getting bent out of shape?

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 03:11 PM
its only 0.8 cos thats the thickest i have so far, but so far seems pretty strong. Think i will in future try it with 1mm hard

mizgeorge
23-08-2009, 03:43 PM
If you're going to twist it, you don't need hard, it will harden nicely during the twisting process, and will twist better if it's not too hard to start with :)

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 03:54 PM
okies ty, i am a little sure now as to whether i can get a twisted link in between the plain ones as the links i soldered onto the ends of the teardrops and bows are so tiny, so if i cant i will have to have another rethink on how to add some more twists maybe around the doubles i dunno. just had a look at it and i might be able to squeeze them in but i will have to do it another time as next week i have to concentrate on an order of 20 candles for a bike club lol, so i will have to start work on all doing all the logos and colouring them up and making the wording transfers so that i can then get them ready for the BMF show in 19 Sept. My poor thumb will be so burnt lol but they will go a good way towards paying for my tumbler :D

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Brilliant work Su and very well cut out, for a newb you should be very proud of yourself.

I've been away all weekend and have only just noticed this, pleased to see you are posting up new work. :Y:

Thanks Jay and how dare you be away all weekend!!! lmao two weeks to gooooooooooooooooooooooo

EmmaRose
25-08-2009, 11:35 AM
looks lovely. camera wise, I think it is not in focus....maybe you are too close?
Em

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 02:29 PM
well i just tried to make twistied links to go in between the double jump rings, but there just wasnt enough room to take another 2 strands of 0.8 so i went down to 0.4 and although it went in the links couldnt move properly, so i am afraid, i will just have to put it down to a design error and learning curve, and remember to think of the clasp next time before i get to the end so that it works in better.

The bracelet i am about to start on is all twisted so hopefully that will flow. its an odd design (probably been done before) and i dont know if i can pull it off yet but i will have a go :D