PDA

View Full Version : You Wooden Make It Up.

Dennis
27-03-2013, 09:35 AM
When I was at school, one of my form masters kept a piece of wood in his jacket. He called it his Jimmy. If a boy wasn’t paying attention, he would hurl it with great accuracy, but we soon learned to duck.

Boys like that sort of thing and he remained popular. So much so that at the end of the year we clubbed together to buy him one of the first ball point pens, a Biro. It was hideous and cost forty shillings.

Anyhow the point of this story is that I still keep a piece of wood in my tool box. It has deep holes for ear posts and a groove for the pin and findings of a brooch. So when I need to set stones I tape the item to my jimmy with plenty of protective masking tape and away I go. Dennis.

ps_bond
27-03-2013, 11:19 AM
That looks useful. For drilling through objects (and saving my peg) I have a small piece of wood with some setter's cement on it. Warm it, stick the object to it and drill through happily; it's only a thin layer of cement so there's less opportunity to blunt drills - but obviously if the object gets too warm while drilling it will come free.

I also have an L shaped block with a notch out of it to make it easier to file grooves across e.g. bezels. I don't use it often, but it is handy.