PDA

View Full Version : Setting help please for unusual placement of pear stone

Lunar Jewels
26-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

I have been asked to make an open heart shape pendant which loops over itself at the top, linking the two curved parts of a heart shape. (Have attached an accompanying photo to assist with my dire descriptions!) The piece has been constructed using 2.5 square wire, so it may accommodate two small stones set along one side. However the third stone is a faceted pear which needs to go inside the looped part at the top centre of the heart, this is what is puzzling me. I am not sure whether to attempt to make an inner bearing, or some sort of reverse setting, or even prongs? Due to the construction on the heart shape, the area is not level where the wire has overlapped to create the teardrop shape opening. Do hope this makes sense, feel free to request further clarification!

Many thanks in advance for all advice recieved

Ali

Dennis
26-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Well I hope you can still make the looped part of the heart follow the outline of the stone but just too small for it to pass through. Then there are five options, partly described in your question:

1. Solder a collet over the part and set the stone by rubbing over.

2&3. File away part of the collet to form a number of claws, or use a few thin wires for claws instead.

4&5. Fit the stone from behind and use one of the methods above to retain it from the back. If using a collet at the back it can also be split with V-shapes in several places to push it onto the stone. Dennis.