PDA

View Full Version : Hi from London

Kalorlo
21-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey there! I'm a total beginner - got hooked at the end of May - and I've been lurking around reading these forums for the last couple of days. This is a very useful and inspiring place!

I make wire trees (and occasional other bits of wire sculpture) and wire-wrapped jewellery and I bead on thread and tigertail. I love semi-precious stones and seed beads. I have dabbled in macrame. Everything else I just haven't got round to yet :)

(My blog's about a month behind - I am rewriting posts from elsewhere and gradually catching up... until I make something else)

I am utterly fascinated by lampwork and would love to have a lesson in it at some point - the results are gorgeous.

Di Sandland
21-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Heather and welcome aboard - lots of advice on here!

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Welcome welcome, our memebers experience goes right across the board so everyone fits in :)

So grab a chair, kettles in the corner :D

julie
21-08-2009, 01:16 PM
hi & welcome to the forum :~:

Solunar Silver Studio
21-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Heather:~:...all 'shiny' lovers fit in here very well!! I love your trees!! I've never seen them with looped bases before! What a clever idea...I guess it makes them much more stable and you don't end up ripping your fingers to shreds trying to get itty bitty twisty roots to stick down on your chosen base!! I sympathise with your wire working problems...mine were covered with dints until I read somewhere about filing the edges off of your pliers so they are just a little bit rounded...that helped enormously - then I discovered Tool Magic - which I use all the time now. I know a lot of people on the forum don't like it much...and to be fair it does take a bit of getting used to...but I don't think I could make my chains if I hadn't got it on my pliers! (The secret is to just dip the tips in really quickly so you only get a light film of the stuff! And dip them at night so they are set ready for the morning!):Y:
Love your blog!!<3<3

Kalorlo
21-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Barbara!

*Sshh* My trees originally had looped bases because I didn't have any bases for them, so hadn't made the roots yet... then I decided I rather liked them that way. Don't tell anyone! They are nice and stable. I plan to make one with roots and a beach pebble base at some point so I can compare, but I don't have the right glue yet :p

I'll remember the Tool Magic if I have more problems - I have proper jewellery pliers now, which are doing fine for plated wire, but I've been wondering if I should try out sterling silver for jewellery soon, and dents in that would make me very sad.

Solunar Silver Studio
21-08-2009, 02:08 PM
If I were you I'd be very proud of my loopy bases!! I love people who 'think outside of the box'... As for glue for tree bases...I wonder if there is such a beast! mind you - it might be easier with the loops. When I did them with knarled twisted roots I tried everything to get them to hold down until they stuck - elastic bands wooden clothes pegs, etc etc ....there is a reason why so many of them have a scattering of chips around the roots you know!! :rofl:

Di Sandland
21-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Don't change the loops!

They take your trees out of the ordinary. I love the cherry blossom one.

MuranoSilver
21-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh those gem trees are soooo adorable :)

agent_44
21-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi and Welcome,

I'm in to wirey stuff too, so I am off to nose at your blog!

mizgeorge
21-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello Heather, and welcome from me too :)

Ominicci
21-08-2009, 04:22 PM
:welcome: Hi Heather !

AlexandraBuckle
21-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Hello and welcome Heather :~:

Lindyloo
21-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Hello Heather, and welcome, from another Londoner. Actually I'm not from London. Dare I say it, I'm an Aussie.

Kalorlo
21-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Di: Ok, ok! I'll keep making them like that. I will do *one* the other way though. To prove I can! :)

Lindyloo: I'm not from London either - before three years ago I'd lived in Edinburgh all my life.

Petal
22-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Karlorlo,

:welcome: to our lovely forum from a fellow beading addict. I'm sure you'll love it as much as we all do and will learn loads and loads.

[] from Jules x

lorraineflee
23-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Karlorlo
Welcome from Bedfordshire! :welcome:
Lorraine

Pandanimal
23-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi from me too!

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Di: Ok, ok! I'll keep making them like that. I will do *one* the other way though. To prove I can! :)

Lindyloo: I'm not from London either - before three years ago I'd lived in Edinburgh all my life.

I bet you find life in the big sh!tty a bit fast :lol: I can't wait to get out of the place, lived here all my life!

Hello BTW :~: