PDA

View Full Version : Arrgghhhh..... first flush setting!!!

Kermit
19-03-2013, 10:07 PM
In my wisdom I decided that a nice pink sapphire would look good flush set into the plain silver band that I made last week. The band is 3mm wide (made using D wire - the D on the inside). So I chose a 1.5mm stone - ordered 3, thinking I could put all three in if I wanted....

Hmmmm...... well I've done one, will not be trying to set anymore tonight. I've spent 15 mins on my hands and knees searching for one of the stones on my carpet, finally found it. Struggled with getting the depth of the setting correct.

Then when I've tried to set the stone I've scratched the ring - think I was trying to push from too far away from the stone.

Despite already wearing glasses (for distance) and recently having had my eyes tested, I've come to the conclusion that my eyesight is rubbish - even with a magnifying glass I struggled!

So... think I need to get some copper and CZ's and do lots of practising!!

Dennis
19-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Looks like headband magnifiers are what you need in combination with your glasses. There are some quite cheap ones around that will do the trick.

A problem with D shaped wire is that there is quite a thickness of metal to move in the longwise direction and much less from side to side. Unless the stone fits well and the sides of metal are vertical the result can look pretty messy. As you have realised you only push down on a very narrow rim.

While you are just practicing, you might start with a ring made from flat strip, in which the problem is reversed but less obviuous.

If this were easy (and it gets more difficult to set a whole row well) people like Chris would be on the dole. Dennis.

Patstone
20-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Agree with Dennis, headband magnifier would be a lifesaver. Know what you mean about scouring the carpet on hands and knees, thats my problem. A strong beamed torch helps there as it shines on the sparkly stone and you would be surprised what else sparkles on your carpet too !!!!!!

Tabby66
20-03-2013, 09:39 PM
.....give in Kwant.........headband magnifiers are the way to go!! []

Gemsetterchris
21-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Optivisors are great until you get too much magnification, the focal length is abit short resulting in neckache & difficult to keep in focus due to movement..then you want a scope :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Kermit
21-03-2013, 08:43 AM
The list is never ending - there are always more things that I need to do jewellery :)

I will definitely be practicing on some copper!

Dennis
21-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Optivisors beloved of professionals are expensive, heavy and sweaty in the summer. if you are only setting a few stones a week, have a look at these cheapos, which can be worn with your glasses and have three magnifications.

http://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Headband-Magnifier-with-3-lenses-73840.html

I used them for more than ten years until the flip down thing broke and the lenses got cloudy from cleaning. I also found the little round lens too close and took it off. Don't bother with illuminated ones either. Dennis.

Gemsetterchris
21-03-2013, 09:33 AM
The good about scopes is you can adjust each eye piece if needed as well as zoom, not much good for stones on the floor though :D

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Kermit
21-03-2013, 09:41 AM
http://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Headband-Magnifier-with-3-lenses-73840.html

these look great and a better price!

It doesn't help that I have a carpet where I work - so finding stuff is never easy..... it is tiles under the carpet, but as it is my office as well I thought it would feel really cold.... Just have to stop dropping stuff!