PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting the correct size claw setting

ShinyLauren
19-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Hello,

I'm planning on getting some 5 claw crown settings made via CAD, as there's no way I'll be able to make them right by hand.

I'm going for a fairly acute angle, and I think I've made the mistake of sizing the diameter of them the way I would for a straight tube setting, failing to take into account the angle.

Could you guys have a look at my measurements and list all the ways in which I have buggered it up, before I send over my rubbish drawings to the CAD company?

Thank you!

Gemsetterchris
19-03-2013, 08:03 PM
You can adjust the claws about abit once they're made?
Just about every collet I get for setting needs a tweak first.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Tabby66
19-03-2013, 09:49 PM
A couple of thoughts Lauren!
Are those inside or outside diameters? Are they of the finished cast item or the model pre-casting.......shrinkage will occur during casting....and finally what thickness metal do you want??

You may want to be clearer about these points for the CAD company.

Sure others will proffer more thoughts!! :D
Tabby xx

Dennis
19-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm not into this Lauren, but if I were challenged to do it I would draw two opposing prongs at the chosen angle, to scale on graph paper x10.

I know with five there will not be opposing prongs, but what you are making is just a tapered collet with bits cut away.

This model would allow you to see at once what stones could be fitted. Dennis.

medusa
20-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Are those inside or outside diameters? Are they of the finished cast item or the model pre-casting.......shrinkage will occur during casting....and finally what thickness metal do you want??

Tabby xx

if it's a wax printout that is being cast, will there still be shrinkage? I thought the shrinkage only came during the mould making?

otherwise, I have no idea.

medusa
20-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Tabby xx

if it's a wax printout that is being cast, will there still be shrinkage? I thought the shrinkage only came during the mould making?

medusa
20-03-2013, 01:31 PM
doublepostingouttasynch weirdness.

ShinyLauren
20-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys.

Tabby - those are outside diameters, I'm more sure they're not big enough the more I look at them!

Dennis, that is a good idea! I think I'm going to go a slightly less acute angle.

Tabby66
20-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Hhhmmm...well there you go.....I think you're correct medusa, the shrinkage occurs during the model making, .......but as I'm writing this post I'm doubting us both!!

I have not used CAD, just thought they were points to be absolutely clear about, I just know that any area for interpretation I will interperet the wrong way!! Lol :-"

Gemsetterchris
21-03-2013, 05:48 AM
If your planning to use the mould for multiple casting..the wax gets cast in metal (shrink) , then you clean that up & get the mould made (shrink). You could get a cold mould made which minimizes the shrink but has abit shorter lifespan.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2