PDA

View Full Version : How to stop a ring turning?

Hayles Gerry
18-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Any tips on how to stop rings turning?

I have a design that relies upon a horseshoe shank. Advice thus far on how to size it is to take the clients ring size and using a ring sizer, find one of my matching knuckles and size to that. The problem I am having is that this does not work for everyone. Anyone got any suggestions?

The detail of the ring is on the top of the finger with a hidden shank. If the ring is just a little to big it moves - ?

It may be that I need to shelve this design, but I see so many rings on the market with this shank that I think I must just be missing a trick?

I have attached a photo as it better shows what I am referring to.. any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hayley:'(4546

Dennis
18-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi Haley,
With oval rings, you can make them so tight that they will only go on sideways. Once on, turn them 90° to be the right way up.

Rings turn by gravity when the front is very heavy. Some people are completely oblivious to this, or quite like to play with the ring all day long and others are very faddy, but short of adding wings to gain support from adjacent fingers, that's the best you can do. Dennis.

Hayles Gerry
21-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks Dennis. Do you have any tips on sizing oval rings?
Many thanks
Hayley

Dennis
21-03-2013, 01:33 PM
That's the crunch Hayley, You have to make your own. Start with three or four round ones made of brass or copper in a series of sizes to match your ring stick. Then turn them oval on an oval mandrel (triblet). Label them with the original round size, and there you are. Dennis.

Hayles Gerry
21-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks Dennis - will have a go