PDA

View Full Version : emerald cut created ruby setting

cezerpringle
21-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi, I recently got an emerald cut created ruby (6x4mm), only thing is I can't remember how to make an emerald cut setting (I know, I seem to have a preocupation with settings) I also can't find a tut on it (googled and searched ganoskin), anyone have one up their sleeves? Looking for a prong one
Thanks
Ceri :)

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I bet Jay can help you there he seems to have taken to settings like a duck to water!

ps_bond
21-08-2009, 12:44 PM
There's a good description of how to do it in Cogswell.

cezerpringle
21-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Is that a book?
Thanks

ps_bond
21-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes - this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Stonesetting-John-Cogswell/dp/140810945X

It's a pretty useful resource for this sort of thing in my ever-so-humble (know what that word means, looked it up) opinion. :)

There's a couple of different ways of doing what you want detailed in it - there's the prong setting from a wire basket, or there's more of a crown setting from a fabricated collet approach.

ps_bond
21-08-2009, 12:58 PM
The other one I'd recommend is the Practical Goldsmith book on mountings - a photographic step-by-step of various settings, but all in all I'd suggest that Cogswell is a more useful resource.

cezerpringle
21-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I was after a basket I think, I was kinda after a tutorial as I have no cash but that's definately on my wishlist!
Thanks again

ps_bond
21-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Hmm. OK, try this - bearing in mind a picture is worth a thousand words:

Layout the prongs as a flat cross; for an emerald setting you'll need 8 prongs (2 for either side of each corner). Solder it in the middle so it is held together for later.

Fabricate the lower gallery; this can be the same size or slightly smaller than the upper gallery. Then fabricate the upper gallery - this fits just below the girdle of the stone. My preference is to make sure the upper gallery external size is slightly larger than the girdle of the stone.

Notch the corners of both galleries where the prong wires are going to lie. Use a round file, joint file, cylindrical burr - whatever gives you the desired result. This is optional, but looks better to my mind (and will give the girdle of the stone slightly more protection).

Bend up the prongs so the lower gallery sits neatly nestled in the basket; then position the upper gallery. Cogswell recommends using a piece of heavily oxidised copper wire to keep the 2 in alignment; it's much easier than faffing with tweezers (I've got titanium strips for that sort of thing too). Solder the prongs and galleries together. Cut the bottom excess of prong wire away, trim the prongs to a sensible length.

Voila.

cezerpringle
21-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks so much! I've made baskets before but only round ones, I now feel better, that it's pretty much the same, it also makes sense having the 8 prongs.
If cooksons had a ready made one in silver i'd have bought it but unfortunately not, just a bit concerned I keep wasting such pretty stones by using them in practices that end up looking bad hehe.
As I say, thanks again!

ps_bond
21-08-2009, 01:34 PM
You can do it with 4 too - but they need to be bigger to protect corners.

http://www.stuller.com/products/products.aspx?iid=1287479

Solunar Silver Studio
21-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I just don't know how you guys do it!! I was wide eyed and slack jawed at that method Peter...just a tad beyond me at the moment I think!:'( And I'm sure I could never learn it from a book! I hope we get piccies at the end Ceri!! Good Luck!:Y:

Charlotte
21-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that sounds complicated but familiar (I have a basic jewellery book its probably in)... but then I did buy a emerald cut Topaz a while back with no setting so may have to attempt this at some point.=:-O