PDA

View Full Version : soldering

diz
16-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi, I,m new to silversmithing, I wonder if anybody could let me know if copper plate can be soldered to silver plate?

donnie
16-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi Diz, Yes it can. Just out of interest where are you getting your copper plate and what thickness?
DONNIE

silver-n-things.co.uk

diz
16-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I hav,nt bought my copper yet but I was going to get 0.7mm from cookson.

Dennis
16-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi, I,m new to silversmithing, I wonder if anybody could let me know if copper plate can be soldered to silver plate?

Just to be sure what the question is, are you referring to copper and silver sheet?
The use of the word 'plate' implies that some metal has been plated with copper or silver, in which case no, the plating would be damaged when heated during soldering.

Copper and silver sheet can be joined with any of the grades of hallmarking silver solder. The main problem is that silver solder can spill over onto the copper surface and look messy. This means that you need to develop a special skill to avoid excess.

If you can tell us what you intend to make, more suggestions would be available. Dennis.

diz
17-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Thank you dennis, I did mean sheet silver and copper, I'm still in experimental mode, (trying to get my designer mojo back)

donnie
17-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi I thought it was sheet you ment that was partly why I asked the thickness the other reason, if you are in experimental mode, a cheap method of obtaining copper sheet is from a scrap merchant, you buy a hot water cylinder, the old type that does not have that yellow foam round it (cost about £20) cut it up with tin snips, you can obtain several large pieces in total about 1.5 sq. mts.grade 1 cylinders are made with 0.70mm copper sheet. Once you have perfected your design you can buy nice new copper sheet from Cookson. Just a thought
DONNIE

silver-n-things.co.uk

diz
17-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks donnie, that sounds like a good idea I'll try that, might get a decent gauge copper wire there too.

Dennis
18-03-2013, 10:35 AM
One inexpensive source of copper wire is mains earthing cable from B&Q or a local electrical shop. One metre will provide seven strands of 1.60 mm dia. wire.

To reduce it you can anneal and stretch it, or use a draw plate. Dennis.

diz
18-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Great thanks for the tips, I'll try there too:)

pink
18-03-2013, 08:08 PM
One inexpensive source of copper wire is mains earthing cable from B&Q or a local electrical shop. One metre will provide seven strands of 1.60 mm dia. wire.

To reduce it you can anneal and stretch it, or use a draw plate. Dennis.

That sounds like a great tip. Thank you Dennis