PDA

View Full Version : How to remove extra solder from jump rings?

kislany
16-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here with my first newbie question. Just started to learn soldering, made my first bracelet from soldered jump rings (woohoo!) using solder paste, but now I'm stuck with those extra bits of solder that are showing at the joints. Obviously the more I work with it, the easier it will get and the less extra solder I'll have showing by learning what is the right amount of solder to put on the joints, but right now what is the best way to remove the solder from each jump ring? Can I have a few ideas thrown at me, so I see what I have lying around on tools to use for it?

Nick martin
16-03-2013, 03:58 PM
To the best of my knowledge, and its not a lot at the moment, I think you'd either use less solder in the first instance or maybe fine grade needle files to file the excess down?

Nick

kislany
16-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks Nick,

I'm just learning - it's my first chain ever, so I know eventually I'll use less solder, but for now I do want to clean up this very chain - and it's good to know how to deal with extra solder if it happens again. Thanks for the tip on the fine grade needle file.

louisella76
16-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi - could you post a photo to show exactly where the extra solder is? needle files or emery paper could do the trick

kislany
16-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Here is a quick pic I took of the chain, sorry about the bad quality, I just snapped the shot right after taking it out from the tumbler. You can see the extra 'blobs' of solder very well on the 3rd large ring from the left (also on the 4th at the bottom). Some rings are better, some are worse...it's my first chain and I know I'll improve with practice.

Patstone
16-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I would use fine needle files too and maybe some fine sandpaper stuck onto a wooden drinks stirrer.

kislany
16-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Great, thanks for the tips. I guess the fine needle file wins, I'll give it a try.

donnie
16-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi What a lovely chain, the excess solder will clean off no bother, as sugested by Nick needle files, emery paper and then fine wet & dry. Try and move the file in a radial movement so not to leave flats on the round wire links. perfection is something that pops out of a mould.
DONNIE

silver-n-things.co.uk

Dennis
16-03-2013, 10:10 PM
My gut feeling is that filing will spoil the roundness of the wire and make matters worse. What I would try is to slightly heat the chain and flux all over, using a liquid flux such as Auflux/Auroflux. This ensures a good coating.

Then I would pick up each link with the joint uppermost and reheat with a bushy flame of my minitorch (air hole partly closed) until the solder just flows enough to level the bumps. Stop instantly, let it cool on the block and go on to the next one (no need to pickle in between).

Take care that other links are kept out of the way so that you do not solder two links together. Let most of the chain rest on a block so that the weight is not a drag on the tweezers.

This will not remove the excess, but make it more acceptable in appearance.

kislany
17-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks Donnie and Dennis. Sadly I don't have those fluxes - I do have a liquid one, but it's for gold - tried to work with it before and it would do nothing for me, I thought I'll never be able to learn to solder - until I got from the UK the paste solder. I do have the borax cone and dish, just came in the post this Friday, so I might give that a go. At least I'll get some more practice with the flame control.

Btw Dennis, just wanted to say that yesterday I checked out your album and love the jewelry - especially the blue topaz earrings.

caroleallen
17-03-2013, 08:40 AM
My method is to use a roll sander (from Cooksons) on my pendant drill (or Dremel or similar) and sand the lumpy bits, turning the wire as you go, so as not to have any flat bits. My roll sanders are a must-have thing for me. I get through at least one a day.

kislany
18-03-2013, 06:26 AM
I don't have the role snaders, but they sure look cool. So many more tools to buy *sigh*.

bilythepink
19-03-2013, 03:02 PM
My method is to use a roll sander (from Cooksons) on my pendant drill (or Dremel or similar) and sand the lumpy bits, turning the wire as you go, so as not to have any flat bits. My roll sanders are a must-have thing for me. I get through at least one a day. Just had to add that these roll sander thingys are brilliant. I stick the handpiece to my pendant motor in a soft vice and then both hands are free and as they wear down you can save them for even smaller jobs and they manicure your nails in the process ....... and breeeeaaaattttthhhhhheeeee ....... sorry, but I used these for the first time today and am so impressed, I just can't believe I have been taping wet and dry to a wooden stick for so long :rofl:

kislany
20-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Checked out the sanding rollers here at Cooksons, but ouch, while they're only around 10 Euros or so, with VAT and shipping to Cyprus it comes to 30 Euros. bit too pricey overall *sigh*. Why does Cookson have so high international shipping rates within Europe for such small light pieces?