PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Desire.

Dennis
16-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Today I took time out to visit the Desire Exhibition at the Kensington Exhibition Centre. There were many beautiful displays, several worthy of Goldsmiths Hall, but the civic centre, up a quiet road from the High Street with few signs to direct you, proved less than inviting.

On a miserable morning with driving rain and being greeted by decidedly unfriendly staff in a large and confusing municipal building would do much to cool the desire of prospective buyers. Despite this I hope the exhibitors will have a successful weekend, but I feel they deserved better. Dennis.

caroleallen
16-03-2013, 01:55 PM
That's interesting Dennis. I've done it a couple of times, once at Queen Charlotte Hall in Richmond and once at the Bank of England Sports Club. The first time it was quite good. The second time the venue was really difficult to get to with confusing signs, so sales weren't good. I'd have thought by now they'd have got it right.

Tabby66
17-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I've been to Desire at Winchester a few times and it is well signed, and a lovely light and airy venue..........however, I came down with my daughter to Desire, Kensington on Friday and I completely agree Dennis. I was looking for the event and venue and still found it very difficult to find. As you infer an unattractive and really quite dark and dingy building, with the backing boards some exhibitors appeared to be in caves......despite lighting on their display.

I agree.......I hope the exhibitors have a good show, but feel they deserved better.

CDW Designs
17-03-2013, 03:40 PM
I visited on Friday and I found it quite easy to find but then I know Kensington high street. It did lack directions but I walked down from Notting Hill station (10 minute walk) and didn't expect to see signs but for others there should have been signs. I thought it was a very interesting exhibition and included some new designers. It certainly motivated me once again, as every year!

kymbi
17-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I was at Desire yesterday and while I found it ok, mainly because I used to work in Kensington High Street, it wasn't well signposted and the entrance was a bit dull and grim. A friend of mine was exhibiting there and I got the impression from her and overhearing another exhibitor that it had been rather quiet on the number of visitors through the door. Haven't heard how she got on yesterday afternoon or today, but just hope the numbers picked up and the miserable weather didn't keep them away.

ps_bond
23-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I've been to the Winchester show a few times and found it to be a nice venue, I've never tried Kensington. That's a disturbing pattern given the cost of exhibiting.