PDA

View Full Version : Polishing thread, what is it?

nammie
16-03-2013, 03:52 AM
This might seem like a daft question but I've never meet any in person. Seems like an excellent idea for cleaning up pierced work but I am a cheap skate at heart, does it differ from a thick cotton thread in anyway? Being a (not quite) ex knitter I have an abundance of cotton thread/yarn in varying thicknesses that I could use. Would those work or should I purchase the real thing?

I have half an idea to make a sort of C shaped frame with the thread attached to close it to a square shape. Thought that might be easier to use. If that's practical I'm sure its been invented before...

Any thoughts our experience gratefully received :-)

Nammie

Goldsmith
16-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Nammie, anything that will hold polishing compound will do as a polishing thread, in the past I have used cotton string,wool and even strips cut from a chamois leather bought for cleaning cars, it's the nylon based threads that are not so good. You can polish piercing quite easy at the bench by just having a nail tapped in somewhere to hook the polishing thread around it, holding it tense with one hand while holding and running the item to be polished up and down the thread, with the other hand. When I use chamois leather strips I grip one end of the leather in my bench vice. I use Tripoli and Rouge compounds.

James

Wallace
16-03-2013, 08:54 AM
James, that chamois is a great tip, thank you... I find cleaning inside of my bales has always been a messy affair. Cocktail sticks have come up short and cotton buds just don't get into those smaller place.

What thickness would you recommend for the best result?
Thank you
Wallace

Goldsmith
16-03-2013, 10:55 AM
James, that chamois is a great tip, thank you... I find cleaning inside of my bales has always been a messy affair. Cocktail sticks have come up short and cotton buds just don't get into those smaller place.

What thickness would you recommend for the best result?
Thank you
Wallace

Wallace, the chamois I use is quite thin, it's hard to measure but it's between 0.30mm. and 1mm. thick. I bought a few from Amazon recently but have yet to try them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oakgrain-Original-Genuine-Premium-801-300/dp/B007BNKPNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363431029&sr=8-4
They were only £1.99 each, with free delivery.
James

This is the one of my originals.

SilverBouillon
17-03-2013, 09:12 AM
? Being a (not quite) ex knitter I have an abundance of cotton thread/yarn in varying thicknesses that I could use. Would those work or should I purchase the real thing?

I think that crochet cotton will work better. Or crochet (weaving, shoe making) strong linen thread.

Patstone
17-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Lana, we must think the same, thats what I use, crochet cotton that is.

SilverBouillon
17-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Patstone, yes, knitting cotton is too soft.
It just came to my mind only while reading this thread, that linen thread should be better than cotton. It's stronger and the texture will take more compound than crochet cotton. I want to try it today to compare.

nammie
17-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks James,

I happen to have a couple of hundred kilos of cotton thread hanging about so I will press some into action before I worry about chamois. Was just checking there wasn't anything I was missing, you know, along the lines of jewellers pickle not being Branstons.

Nammie

SilverBouillon
17-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Just wonder if someone tried to cut abrasive cloth/paper into strips and it worked like thread polish? I don't have any at the moment to try it.
I'm talking about something like this one:
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Spectrum-Finishing-Paper-20-Micron-600-Grit-Blue/337210?Pos=598

Dennis
17-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Some people swear by that spectrum finishing paper Lana, but you might find it too thin and fragile if cut into strips. Just ordinary grey abrasive paper in the finer grades would do though.

Personally I don't bother beyond the finest cut escapement files (a smaller version of needle files), and extra fine saw blades for the sharp angles.
You would have to be extra faddy to quarrel with the finish, or have eyes acute enough to see a problem. Dennis

Wallace
17-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Wallace, the chamois I use is quite thin, it's hard to measure but it's between 0.30mm. and 1mm. thick. I bought a few from Amazon recently but have yet to try them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oakgrain-Original-Genuine-Premium-801-300/dp/B007BNKPNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363431029&sr=8-4
They were only £1.99 each, with free delivery.
James

This is the one of my originals.

thanks James

SilverBouillon
18-03-2013, 11:32 AM
or have eyes acute enough to see a problem. Dennis
No, Dennis, I use magnifiers. :) The problem is to learn everything on my own. I don't have somebody behind my shoulder to say when enough is enough. Plus, polishing is such a field of personal preferences, and I need to find my own trying many abrasives in combinations.

I found it difficult to see the scratches before the final polish. The surface looks ok, then scratches come out nowhere.

Lets say, I worked the surface with files. Fine. Then sandpaper- I see the major scratches and remove them. Then brush- I see the scratches I missed. Fix it, looks ok. Then, after I did the mirror polish, here we are- missed minor scratches, which are visible under magnifier and macro pictures.
Perhaps, I miss it because I don't have any day light in my garage, only lamps. Or perhaps I'm learning.