PDA

View Full Version : How would I do this?

JeCreative
03-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi

I'm a newbie to jewellery making. Would anyone be able to advise me on how and what equipment I'd need to engrave jewellery like Lucy does at lucylocketsjewellery dot co dot uk ?

Obviously I just want to say I'm not looking to copy the jewellery on this site, i just like the engraving technique!

Thank you

caroleallen
03-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Which specific engraving technique?

JeCreative
03-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Sorry, it's the printing of names onto the silver

J

Gemsetterchris
03-03-2013, 10:59 AM
0.3mm pencil followed by 0.3mm ball burr :-"
Thats what i use for doing inside ring "engraving".

caroleallen
03-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I expect her engraving is all done mechanically. See here http://www.gravograph.co.uk

Myosotis
03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
It seems like she's using metal clay - it looks like the letters gave been stamped in and then fired as the edge of the metal by the letters is curved inwards. Looks different if engraved (I have one of the gravograph m20 machines)

SilverBouillon
03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi

I'm a newbie to jewellery making. Would anyone be able to advise me on how and what equipment I'd need to engrave jewellery like Lucy does at lucylocketsjewellery dot co dot uk ?

Obviously I just want to say I'm not looking to copy the jewellery on this site, i just like the engraving technique!

Thank you

It's metal clay stamping. With plastic or metal stamps.

caroleallen
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
It seems like she's using metal clay - it looks like the letters gave been stamped in and then fired as the edge of the metal by the letters is curved inwards. Looks different if engraved (I have one of the gravograph m20 machines)

How do you get on with your M20?

Myosotis
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
How do you get on with your M20?

pretty good - the machine is great and the basic software you get with it will do a wide range of font styles and some basic symbols (like star signs etc) but if you want to import your own images you'll need their super duper software which was about £600 from memory but all you need is a vectorising program like adobe illustrator which will do the same thing if you have something like that

mizgeorge
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
As said above, these have almost certainly be stamped into unfired metal clay.

You can achieve exactly the same look on sterling with metal letter punches, or by etching.

silken
04-03-2013, 06:47 AM
I agree, it looks like the letters have been stamped onto the metal clay prior to firing. They don't look engraved. Stamping the metal clay before firing can be good because you can use plastic stamps as opposed to steel punches which are much more expensive. I don't work with metal clay but I have used it before and did some stamping, the results were very similar. For fired clay or for sheet metal, you'll need to use the steel letter punches with a hammer to get that effect.