PDA

View Full Version : Best place for newbie to buy cabochons please?

taylordebs
02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi everyone, I have just made my first ring using a 8mm iolite cabochon that I got from ebay (2 for £2,50) tumbled it at the end and the colour came out of the gemstone so lesson learnt there. I am really clueless in knowing where to buy cabochons that are not too expensive whilst I am on the new learning curve, Can anyone help me please? Thanks so much!

Goldsmith
02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
A good place for cheap Cabs is Manchester Minerals; http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk you will have to register before you can see their prices, but to give you an idea an 8mm. round Amethyst cab costs £2.04. inc. Vat. all types of real stones all sizes at good prices.

James

taylordebs
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks James. really nice to have somewhere recommended. Off to take a peek cheers!

Patstone
02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Try Kernocraft too, they are quite cheap and the stones are really good.

mizgeorge
02-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Best bet is always to try to get to a rock n gem show, where you can actually see before you buy. You can get some real bargains as well. Especially if you're happy to be a bit creative about settings and don't mind slightly imperfect stones.

taylordebs
02-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone!

silken
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Ouch! They shouldn't have lost their colour but eBay is iffy. You can get some great, genuine stones but at the same time you can also end up with rubbish. A lot of it is severely mis-described so you have to scour through the piles of rubbish to find the nice gems. If you're not overly familiar with gemstones, it's definitely best to stick to reputable dealers.

I find Marcia Lanyon is good for the usual calibrated cabs and the prices aren't too high but as with a lot of suppliers, they are trade only and you have to register. Kernowcraft is quite good for commercial cabs. There are some wonderful sellers on Etsy too but as with eBay you need to be careful and find a trusted supplier.

I've sent you a PM :D

Patstone
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Another one to try is Joopy Gems, she is on Etsy too now, but I bought from her a couple of times before she joined Etsy and her stones are lovely. She is an English girl that went to University here in the UK and moved to Hong Kong to live, have a look at her profile.

silken
04-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Ah yes, Julia from JoopyGems is lovely. She describes her stones accurately and discloses any treatments, which a lot of sellers don't do. Her rose cut cabs are lovely :)

Patstone
04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
I made a big ring with a white topaz as a centrepiece, it looks lovely.

Dennis
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Best bet is always to try to get to a rock n gem show, where you can actually see before you buy. You can get some real bargains as well. Especially if you're happy to be a bit creative about settings and don't mind slightly imperfect stones.

Next one is at Kempton Park racecourse this weekend

glennd
10-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Hello, I am a new member too, but have made my own cabs for my pieces. I make agate and jasper cabs mainly and can send you some pictures if you want.
Glenn

donnie
10-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi try P J Beads for cheap cabs. can`t speak for the quality. DONNIE
www.beads.co.uk

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

Sassoon
05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi, if your looking for a cabs that are a little different try designercabochons.co.uk iv used them a few times and have never had any problems.

Keia
05-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi try P J Beads for cheap cabs. can`t speak for the quality. DONNIE
www.beads.co.uk

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

I've used PJ Beads before and can recommend them. They're very quick off the mark with postage too. The only thing I'd say about them is make sure you fill your basket as the postage is £3 - even for a tiny envelope of 6 cabs.

pearlescence
06-01-2014, 08:04 AM
I've never bought from them because I only do pearls but how about http://www.gemcollector.com (http://www.gemcollector.com/)/. I've met Steve Bennett and he certainly knows his gemstones.

trialuser
06-01-2014, 11:41 AM
I've never bought from them because I only do pearls but how about http://www.gemcollector.com (http://www.gemcollector.com/)/. I've met Steve Bennett and he certainly knows his gemstones.
Wow - thanks for that - what an informative site - the learning library is awesome

ps_bond
06-01-2014, 11:44 AM
The word that occurred to me wasn't "informative" - it was "lethal". Some gorgeous stones there - and a number I've never heard of before.

Keia
06-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Sigh. There goes our house deposit ><

Tabby66
06-01-2014, 10:14 PM
The word that occurred to me wasn't "informative" - it was "lethal". Some gorgeous stones there - and a number I've never heard of before.

Wowzers!!!!!! What a collection and as you say Peter 'some gorgeous stones there'....many of which I haven't heard of before too!!

Wallace
07-01-2014, 01:55 PM
You know that phrase "kids in a sweetie shop"?

Make mine a rainbow sherbert, with a sprinkling of.....

LydiaNiz
07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
I do indeed - I have accidentally lost the afternoon and many, many pounds. (Not the kind I particularly need to lose either).
I almost exclusively use cabs - I buy cheap cabs for practice/teaching bezel setting from manchester minerals, have found their special stone list hit and miss. Example, I bought two 6mm emerald cabs - one was small (about 4.7mm but breathtakingly clear and a beautiful, beautiful classic emerald green. The other as opaque, big brown inclusions, irregularly shaped and frankly - a bit manky. I also use a.e. ward, kernowcraft for specifics and they are great at pair matching, have Marcia Lanyon on stand by (never seem to have the sizes I'm after but have some nice bullet cabs right now) and am now looking forward to seeing what my little list from Gem Collector looks like!

ShinyLauren
08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Oh god, I'm too scared to look!

Dennis
08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Have some nice bullet cabs right now

Can you set them so they don' wobble though, LydiaNiz?

Have been to AE Ward today. They have quite a small showroom and there was a heaving mass of humanity and five people serving. You can take it that it indicates a new prosperity, because I've never seen it like that. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
08-01-2014, 08:03 PM
there's the rub! I've got it down to a teeeeeeeeeny wibble now - it is a tricky one! I'm feeling fairly optimistic making-wise too, a couple of lovely 'just do what you do' commissions and a cheque from the gallery sales that went awol turned up, so as well as the cabs I've treated myself too, am finally going to have a proper crack at keum boo (I've done lots of different ways with gold and silver, but want to try the foil method now).

pearlescence
09-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Dennis - that's an unfortunate name, I thought you had been injured until I realised no 'and'

Patstone
09-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Yes I read it quickly and thought that.

Dennis
09-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Well what a laugh. It never occurred to me, but I expect Wards get tired of the joke. Mind you I could have been injured in the crush. D.

LydiaNiz
10-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I have just received my first small 'test order' from the gemcollector site recommended on here. The stones are lovely and beautifully presented (nicer than advertised - I got a few welo opals, emerald cab, an unusual amethyst for a friend's wedding band and some kyanite) all of them came in a little suede pouch, with seperate gempot. They came with labels for the pots with the stones image and specifics on, a velvet lined box for the gempots themselves, and a little book on gemstones. Will def. use them again - so thank you!

ps_bond
10-01-2014, 02:14 PM
At the risk of being hypocritical - "this thread is worthless without pics" :D

LydiaNiz
10-01-2014, 06:52 PM
you are right, will take some in morning. Have been kept busy today with our dog doing his best to die under anaesthetic at the vets, hooray for clever vets!

ps_bond
11-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Er - priorities, definitely. Ruddy animals! Always doing something to keep you on your toes...

LydiaNiz
11-01-2014, 05:10 PM
I'd never get a job on QVC - righto, here's all of the things - and one of the emeralds (top lit) 7.5mm long and an opal (6mm). As I said, it was a cheapy test order, the opal was under £5, the emerald ten.

Keia
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed with their presentation =D (great photos too btw).

FloWolF
13-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I used these (seems gemstone collector/genuine gemstone company and gemsTV are all connected?) for my first and only cut stone order - a gorgeous tiny green garnet and a wonderfully clear and shimmering little soft pink trillian morganite that I set into a braided silver band for my wife - both were in sale and dirt cheap, but still came fabulously packaged and presented and with an issue of their curious little gemstone encyclopaedia included.

Didn't really look through their cabs as I got caught up in all the sparkles heheh...

Shaun/FWD

MeadMoon
13-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Well I've only gone and placed an order now with Gemstone Collector as well. Was very restrained 'cos I'm a bit broke (so what's new!). Please can you stop suggesting suppliers before I go totally bankrupt :) Looking forward to seeing what turns up.

pearlescence
13-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Sorry...someone asked.....

MeadMoon
17-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I didn't get the gemstone encyclopaedia, but everything was so beautifully packaged and presented it wasn't missed. The stones are lovely and I'm now terrified to try and set them in case I mess it up. Particularly since I was drawn mainly to the opals...

MeadMoon
21-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Talk about service above and beyond. Barry from Gem Collector saw my post above and emailed me to say that a copy of the gemstone encyclopaedia would be put in the post for me. Definitely a supplier to be recommended!

ps_bond
21-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Pretty good; now, what's the chance of getting him to delurk? :)

Of course, it may have been an email notification of Gem Collector being mentioned in searches.

pearlescence
21-01-2014, 10:01 AM
err, I told Steve!

FloWolF
21-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Talk about service above and beyond. Barry from Gem Collector saw my post above and emailed me to say that a copy of the gemstone encyclopaedia would be put in the post for me. Definitely a supplier to be recommended!

Sometimes you just immediately get a feel for a good company.

Shaun.

ps_bond
21-01-2014, 10:27 AM
err, I told Steve!

More efficient than waiting for a computer to sort it.

allyclaret
21-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Ohhh lordy! Another amazing supplier to feed my habit!

Patstone
22-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Lovely stones, but a bit expensive.

Ohhh lordy! Another amazing supplier to feed my habit!