PDA

View Full Version : What can I make from 6g of silver clay?

SilverBouillon
20-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I plan to buy PMC+ and PMC3 to test, 6g package each. I don't own a kiln, so it will be torching only.
I would like to make textured rings, and some creative setting for the single cab about 15mm.
I also want to try mixing clay with glycerine to make it flexible, but what minimum amount can I use for testing?

There is no store around where I can see what amount of clay is 6g or bigger to figure out how much to buy.

What practically can I make out of 6g? Should I buy bigger amount or just start with the smallest packs? Clay is pricey.

medusa
20-02-2013, 07:13 PM
you could probably make a decent sized pendant with 6g and there should be enough to make a setting for a 15mm cab easy. Remember, unless its the new sterling PMC it will be very soft and so not great for rings.

Nice name btw, very funny :)

SilverBouillon
20-02-2013, 07:33 PM
medusa thank you very much. At least now I know what to expect from that amount. I read that PMC3 is a bit harder than PMC+, that's why I would like order both of them to compare. I plan to incorporate PMC with my leather work, because both leather and silver clay have very matching "soft edge" properties. If clay will not make decent holders for leather, I need to find another way.

As for name, I'm a boiling bouillon :) these days, wasting my silver stash. Just yesterday I felt terrible and was thinking perhaps I made mistake starting all that jewelry studio.
I'm glad to find this forum, it really helped to re-charge.