PDA

View Full Version : Hi to everyone.

Gemsetterchris
18-02-2013, 08:58 AM
A quick introduction about me..

Chris Mead aka Gemsetterchris.. Diamond & precious stone setter since starting an apprenticeship in this "niche" of the trade back in 1988 in Hatton Gdn.
I`m now based near Tampere, Finland working freelance for EU based companies as well as doing my own things when time allows :)
Having worked with budget production stuff to handmade custom designs, hopefully i can chip in with some help & advice in the future.

Thanks for reading.

ps_bond
18-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi Chris - oh good, a proper setter :)
Saves me hassling you on Steve's forum!

Dennis
18-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Chris. We could do with a professional setter. The pay is poor though. Dennis

Gemsetterchris
18-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Peter.. you can now hassle me here no problem.:Y:

Dennis.. Trade work pay is abit poor to say the least, bit unfortunate but thats how it is.
Everyone expects perfection done yesterday for peanuts..thats why i started doing some "time-honoured" work in my spare time.

silken
18-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Hello!

Yay! A professional stone setter! Stone setting is probably the biggest source of frustration for me (an informally trained jewellery maker) but I still enjoy it. I have lots of things to ask but I think I'll wait before I start bombarding you with lots of silly questions ;)

lorraineflee
18-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Welcome Chris, you'll get loads of questions (once we've let you settle in a bit!!!)
Lorraine

Gemsetterchris
18-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Welcome Chris, you'll get loads of questions (once we've let you settle in a bit!!!)
Lorraine

Fire away! I won`t claim to be a know all or the world`s best but i`ll give you my opinion & method(s) as best i can.

There is more than one way to do most setting work, I use different methods in different circumstances, not just for technical reasons but also depending on time/budget.

Tabby66
18-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Fantastic to have you here Chris!! I enjoy dabbling in setting, but I never get anywhere near a professional setters standards..........I'm more a model maker and I am 'developing' my diamond mounting skills......aaagh!! I guess I'm looking forwards to learning a greater understanding of a setter's requirements and frustrations!!

.....guess I just gave you an open book!! ;) ..............bullet points or brief notes as opposed to a 10 page essay would be great!! :">

lucylou22
19-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Hello Chris! I may well some and kidnap you and get you to set all my stones for me - I've just started attempting to set stones, lets just say, its not going too well!
Lucy x

Gemsetterchris
19-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Let`s get those problems ironed out.
Setting is not hard, it`s just easy to mess up.:-p
The gemsetting forum could do with abit of new stuff by the looks of it.

Wallace
19-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Hiya Chris,

Welcome from me. Iam addicted to setting! Love experimenting and trying out new ideas... Some end up in the never gonna try that one again, so lovely to have someone with to ease us through the New Stone Age. My faves are tube, flush and channel settings.

Kindest,

wallace

Gemsetterchris
24-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi Wallace, i`m the same..testing new things & trying new tools, be interesting to compare notes.