PDA

View Full Version : Black Opal

Keia
14-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Hello. Hope you're all well.
Does anyone know of a trusted seller for black opals please?

louisella76
14-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi Keia

Have you tried Manchester Minerals? They've always been really helpful, if you live anywhere near Manchester it's worth popping into their shop.

silken
15-02-2013, 12:47 AM
What kind of size and price range were you looking for?

I've bought a couple of free form lightning ridge black opal cabs from estate sales before and still have them hiding in a box in my studio which is a shame but I found a few suppliers of opals at the Spring Fair/Jewellery show the other week. First of all, Marcia Lanyon had some beautiful opals on display that aren't listed on their website so you'd have to call them about them. Additionally, there was a company called The Opal People, they had some of the most beautiful opals I've seen on display. I've put their website link below. Then there was a company called Laroche. Again, beautiful opals but unfortunately their website doesn't list any of their stock. I'd really recommend The Opal People though. They're UK based, supply all different varieties and can custom cut opals. Ethically sourced mostly from Australia too :D

Hope this helps!

http://www.theopalpeople.com/products-page/lightning-ridge-black-opal/

Keia
15-02-2013, 02:41 PM
My reply seems to have been gobbled up by the gremlins =( Sorry if it comes up as a double post, It was something like this:

Thankyou both very much, that's loads of info to go on. I checked on etsy to start with, but it seems quite dodgy & the prices on there tend to be a little erratic.
I'm looking for flat back cabs, 5/6mm rounds & 8x6mm.
Thankyou again for the replies, it's greatly appreciated <3

silken
15-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Keia, I used to sell gemstones on Etsy and I know what you mean. I didn't sell opals but I know of some people who do. Some of them are lapidaries and cut the opals themselves so the prices can be quite high to cover their costs (quality is usually excellent though as the good ones select the material and cut the opal very nicely). I wouldn't say don't ever buy gemstones on Etsy, I had lots of happy customers and have bought some lovely stones on there. Just be careful as you would with any other market place. I don't believe people on there want to knowingly overcharge or mislead you, a lot of the people selling gemstones are hobbyists and don't know an awful lot about what they are selling.

I don't see many black opal round cabs, mainly ovals or free form. I hope you find what you're looking for. If you have any problems, feel free to send me a message, I have a few other contacts that might be able to help :)

Tabby66
15-02-2013, 10:35 PM
I've bought from Laroche for about 3 years (recommended by a far longer term and more knowleadgable purchaser!) and have found them to be a very reliable, reasonabely priced (will usually negotiate on multiple purchases)and helpful supplier.

Keia
16-02-2013, 07:52 PM
I will do, many thanks Silken. Thanks again all for the pointers, you've been a great help =D

silken
17-02-2013, 12:34 AM
No probs, would love to see what you make with the opals when you find them. I don't often set opals, I'm kind of scared of how fragile they are so I buy them and leave them in my studio waiting for the day when I become a bit less wimpy ;)