PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at jewellery design

IndigoWealth
10-02-2013, 05:55 PM
One of the few reasons for coming to this forum I guess is that I could use some opinions on what to with some of the loose gemstones I acquired.

For example I recntly acquired a beautiful 10ct pear shaped Madagascar ruby and I've been gnawing my brains out on what to do with it. I got somewhat of an idea in mind but owing to the fact that my jewellery design's was never existent before this, I didn't attempt to make it a reality.

15 minutes ago, out of complete boredom, I made an attempt, and this is what I came up with.

The little small frog eggs represents my horrible attempt to showcase paving, heh. Maybe diamonds, maybe cz, maybe some other clear gemstones.

I could possibly decide on a completely different design, but I dunno. Depending on the responds to this, this could very well be my last attempt lol!

ps_bond
10-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I'd be very concerned about the point on the pear - it looks like it could be very vulnerable being that exposed. Were you continuing the spiral round or were you thinking of setting the ruby from the back?

silken
10-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Ooh a 10ct pear shaped ruby? Sounds beautiful!

The design looks nice but from a stone setting point of view, I don't think it would be at all easy to achieve. The metal that is sort of wrapped around the ruby would need to be relatively thick to be able to pave set the accent stones and I cannot even imagine how one would go about securing the ruby inside the twisted metal part short of casting it inside which is absolutely not a good idea! Maybe one of the experts can shed more light on the design but judging by your drawing, it seems impossible but I am by no means an expert :)

IndigoWealth
10-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I'll be continuing the spiral round the back, but I am open to suggestions on perhaps a better way to protect it. Perhaps the spiral could widen at the back then narrows again as it somes to the front? The paving will only be at the front though.

As for the point, my illustration didn't quite capture it (meh) but the metal should be wrapping around the top, or at least a small capping to slightly cover it?

IndigoWealth
10-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Maybe one of the experts can shed more light on the design but judging by your drawing, it seems impossible but I am by no means an expert :)

Thanks for the comments, Emily :) I'm no expert either so it's great to get opinions on this :)

Tabby66
10-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Are you planning on casting the metal before the ruby is set and the pave being done, or will it be handmad around the stone.......I also have a concern how you will secure the ruby/ get it into the metal?

Dennis
10-02-2013, 10:25 PM
If I am right in assuming that you are an artist, but not an experienced jeweller, I would suggest that the way forward is to find a professional who will tweak your design and realise it for you. You could start by findinmg a suitable partner here: http://www.ipgoldsmiths.com/. Dennis.

IndigoWealth
11-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the inputs folks :)

After a couple of hours away from the computer and looking at it again, I realised the problem. Yes, you're right about the issue on securing gemstone in. One way perhaps is to have it split into two to three pieces (the cuts will be at the side) then soldering it all together at the sides but that will not look good would it? :(

Another option would to modify the design by using wires instead of solid plates. I can still live with that too. I can still keep the wrap around look and instead of paved gems it could be something else.

Back to the drawing board. And Dennis, thanks for the link!