PDA

View Full Version : Packaging / Jewellery boxes

louisella76
02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi all

I'm curious as to which suppliers people generally use to source their packaging when selling their jewellery? I've used the card boxes from Cooksons before however I'm now looking for something in a more natural colour which they don't have. These are kind of what I'm looking for but would be good to know if anyone can recommend a supplier?

http://www.tinyboxcompany.co.uk/c/168429/1/kraft-natural-jewellery-boxes-small-gift-boxes.html

Many thanks!
Sarah

silken
02-02-2013, 05:01 PM
I can honestly say that the Tiny Box Company is awesome! They were on Dragons' Den a couple of years back. I just placed an order with them 2 weeks ago and my boxes arrived this week and I was utterly pleased with them. I enquired with a lot of other suppliers (including Potters and a few others) and was met with a brick wall on several occasions. I decided that the tiny box co looked good and I ordered custom made boxes with foil printing, I honestly cannot fault them at all. Their prices are generally cheaper or in line with other suppliers and everything is recycled. The expensive part of my order was having a printing block made with my logo but once it has been made, they can use it to print on practically any of their other products and you can repeat your order without having to pay for another block to be made. I got the small recycled kraft jewellery boxes printed with my logotype. If you're just after plain boxes, I can definitely recommend them as they are much better quality than the other kraft boxes I have used in the past. I've attached a pic of one of my boxes :)

Rachel Watkyn is the managing director. She was the one who dealt with my e-mails and unlike many other managing directors she was very friendly and non-intimidating even to a small time jewellery artist like myself!

Would definitely recommend to anyone requiring plain or custom printed jewellery boxes plus they give a 10% discount to guild of jewellery design members.

trialuser
02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that - very handy

Anna Wales
02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I've always used Pollards but they don't do particularly small quantities, only full boxes of chosen designs so at the moment I've been using Cooksons. I like the look of the Tiny Box Company. Thanks for the info.

caroleallen
02-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm very happy with Potters. I normally use their Modern range. They now do a box which is extra thin for posting. They're not the best quality ever but they're very cheap and for less expensive things they save a lot of money on postage.

silken
02-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Carole, I was going to use Potters and e-mailed for a detailed quote for my custom boxes. When I got the quote I was told to e-mail or phone to initiate the order. I replied to them and said that I would like to place the order but my e-mail was sadly ignored (as with two other companies I had contacted). I re-sent it to no avail. I don't know whether this was a technical problem, whether they were simply too busy to accept my order or whether they didn't want my business but it would have been nice to get a reply. I would probably have used them if they had replied to my e-mails! I'm glad I used the tiny box company though because the boxes really are just lovely. I'm sure Potters are good too but I was really quite disappointed with their communication.

caroleallen
03-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think I've ever e-mailed them Emily. I just phone them to place the order. The last lot I had were printed and sent out within a week. Of course at Christmas you have to order early.

allyclaret
03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Another thumbs up here for Potters. I use their ecoboard series and for cheaper things their ecoboard postal boxes which are perfect to send at the large letter rate :)

allyclaret
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Oh yes and I always phone them. They are always really helpful and accommodating (especially when I change my mind about an order 4 times!!).

louisella76
03-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies all.

Carole - I've just come back from the jewellery show at the NEC and Potters had a stand there (I mentioned your positive feedback which they were really pleased about). It was good to be able to actually handle the boxes rather than just seeing them online and the man I spoke to was extremely helpful. Their slimline posting box is a great idea - unfortunately they only do it in black at the moment and I'd looking for a natural / Kraft colour (he did mention there may be a small stock of white in too). He gave really helpful advice about printed boxes too i.e. re pricing etc
I think I'll contact Tiny Box to see if they can send me a sample as would be good to see a comparison - Emily, your feedback for them is really positive and I like the idea of it being recycled

silken
03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
It seems phoning Potters is the best way to deal with them then :)

I had my heart set on some of their boxes and was so upset when they didn't reply. It didn't help that at the time I didn't have a working land line or mobile phone so phoning them would have been very difficult! Nevertheless, I'm still a huge fan of tiny box co and probably won't go elsewhere for custom boxes now, especially now that they have my printing block.

I use a couple of different sellers on eBay for postal packaging supplies. Can't beat their prices for boxes of small jiffy bags and PIP (pricing in proportion) large letter postal boxes.

Edited - Louisella, I didn't see your last post before I posted mine but they're happy to provide samples. I'm off to the NEC tomorrow so I'll probably go and have a look at Potters anyway. I'd be happy to send you one of my printed boxes if you were interested in having a look at the printing quality. I don't often write raving reviews about a company but I was just so pleased with my little jewellery boxes I can't help myself.

Tabby66
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
I've used Potters for a number of years now, I have the Legacy button series, lovely quality and quick service. I have them printed and the quality is great, like you Emily, I did have to buy the printing blocks initially...............I have to say......I have mainly dealt with them by phone............there does seem to be a theme developing here............I'm at the Spring Fair Tuesday...........may pop along to their stand too.....

caroleallen
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I had a phone call this morning from the Managing Director of Potters (very nice man) who said that someone had come to his stand at Spring Fair and mentioned that I'd recommended his company on here and thanking me for the recommendation. He also said that if I ever had a problem with e-mailing them, to let him know. Certainly shows the power of sites like this.

silken
04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Wow, that sounds like good service, Carole :)

I've just got back from the Spring Fair and boy do my feet ache. They are actually bleeding from all the walking and meandering around the countless aisles of gems and jewels. I didn't see Potters anywhere though! I wanted to have a look at their packaging and perhaps talk to them about what I had experienced of their service as I can't say my experience was positive. Maybe it was a genuine error but I was left disappointed and ignoring e-mails seemed to be a common theme among some of the packaging companies. I hope my experience was a one off though. I must say though that even when I do have a telephone to hand, I much prefer discussing orders via e-mail as I then have a written record of correspondence.

louisella76
04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
That was so nice of them to call you Carole - the man I spoke to at the stand hadn't heard of the forum but he was really interested to know more so it's nice to hear they followed up with a thank you (shame you weren't on commission for bringing in new customers!)

Emily - their stand wasn't that far from Suttons (I think it was a couple of rows up - definitely at that end of the arena). I know what you mean about sending emails as I usually prefer to have a written record (just habit from working in an office for far too long!)

louisella76
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Meant to also add, he did also tell me about the initial set up fee for the print block (the cost depend on the size) however once it's made, the box printing is free of charge and they also replace the block for free if it gets damaged / worn etc

caroleallen
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
That was so nice of them to call you Carole - the man I spoke to at the stand hadn't heard of the forum but he was really interested to know more so it's nice to hear they followed up with a thank you (shame you weren't on commission for bringing in new customers!)

Emily - their stand wasn't that far from Suttons (I think it was a couple of rows up - definitely at that end of the arena). I know what you mean about sending emails as I usually prefer to have a written record (just habit from working in an office for far too long!)
Aha, so it was you!