PDA

View Full Version : Anything available to stop brass/ copper tarnishing?

Lunar Jewels
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone,

I would just like to know if there is any kind of seal I can use on copper or brass to stop it ever discolouring?
I have been asked to make an art deco hair piece for a customer and although they want a base metal, they don't want it to tarnish.
If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ali

Goldsmith
01-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I have used this laquer for coating silver that needed to be tarnish protected I am sure it will work OK on base metals also; Rustins Metal Lacquer Clear , it's available from Amazon for about £3.

In the past I have also used a can of clear car spray paint laquer quite successfully. To stop metals discolouring you just have to seal the surface from the atmosphere, so a transparent laquer works well.

James

Dennis
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Everyone has their favourite remedy for this and I would go for a can of clear car lacquer like James, or failing that some urethane spray. This gives the most even covering, but with a feint texture. It will be worth spraying a test piece first to see the effect. It will eventually wear away if handled leaving a patchy tarnish. Then you will need a solvent to remove the old stuff before re-treating.

Be aware that these sprays are very toxic and are best used out of doors. Alternatively for anything much handled persuade your customer to accept the antique effect which gradually develops, leaving bright highlights, and a true metallic lustre. Tarnished copper and brass will also revive in Silver Dip. Dennis.

mizgeorge
01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I've always used protectaclear when a quick coat of renaissance wax isn't enough, but I've been having good results for brass and copper recently with a mixed media product from Ranger Ink - http://www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk/ranger-vintaj-glaze---metal-sealer--patina-extender-13083-p.asp

Lunar Jewels
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
That's great, thank you very much everyone for all your help!

louisella76
02-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi Ali - I've used the clear spray laquer and it worked well

bilythepink
03-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I've always used protectaclear when a quick coat of renaissance wax isn't enough, but I've been having good results for brass and copper recently with a mixed media product from Ranger Ink - http://www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk/ranger-vintaj-glaze---metal-sealer--patina-extender-13083-p.asp

Hi George, could you tell me just how effective you think renaissance wax is ? I use it on most of my stuff and it seems to protect really well against finger prints and tarnish in the short term but I have not used it for long enough to guarantee its effectiveness over time.

mizgeorge
03-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I think it's OK, but not brilliant. At the end of the day, it's a wax and can only last for so long, especially in high wear areas. I do know that building up two or three thin coats (warm the wax and apply with a fine paintbrush) works better than trying to get it all on at once.

bilythepink
04-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for that george, I think I'll give the glaze a go