PDA

View Full Version : Stone and Setting fitting?

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I bought a Tanzanite stone, measuring 7.79 X 7.69, trillion cut, and also bought a white gold claw setting for a 8mm stone, will this fit together ok?

Thank you,

Kk

ps_bond
25-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Without seeing the setting, I'd assume it would fit, although seating the stone might be less positive; it's possible the setting might need tweaking slightly to make it smaller. Depends on the tolerances on the setting. Without having both items side by side it's difficult to be certain though - it's something where I'd probably prefer to make the setting from scratch to fit the stone.

Dennis
25-01-2013, 01:23 PM
As you've already discovered Kk, stones are rarely symmetrical or of the exact size stated. Also bought settings are cast and not easily tweaked. I am with Peter in suggesting that in future you think of learning to make your own.

In fact I would go further and say that to begin with you consider rub-down collets, because all you need is the acquired skill, some thin metal sheet, and the right shape of collet mandrel. They are simpler to make and more attractive than ill fitting claws. Dennis.

ps_bond
25-01-2013, 01:31 PM
By "tweak", I am thinking in terms of cut & resolder rather than bend to shape.

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 03:08 PM
can you not just melt some more white gold and melt it on like you would for making a ring a larger size? 42534254

ps_bond
25-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, you could perhaps build up the setting with a laser or a pulse welder - not that I have either, personally. If I'm sizing a ring up, I'd cut it, insert a piece and solder it; I'm not quite clear what you mean by melting some more gold on?

Is that ring the setting you've bought?

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 03:50 PM
yeh and what i meant was that like if you melt some gold, and put some round the edge where the stone sits then finish it and polish it back up so its just that little bit smaller, then extend the prongs so that they reach properly.

mizgeorge
25-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Not sure how you'd do that with all those stones already set though?

Just as an aside, I think I'd get the setting assayed before putting anything into it. I know a lot of people who've been badly stung by Chinese '14k white' settings not being quite what they appear. If the stone's from the same source, it might be worth having that checked as well.

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 06:31 PM
I've already checked it, its solid white gold, i payed a lot so if it wasnt then i would be sueing for false advertising, the stone is from a very reputable company in america, also payed a lot for that, its all real, i just didn't think 0.2-0.3mm would matter that much.

mizgeorge
25-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm pleased it's what you expected. Out of curiosity, can I ask how you had it tested?

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 07:34 PM
local jeweller appraisel for the setting, and a seperate jeweller for the tanzanite, I just a bit worried about getting it put together, due to the difference of size, I've yet to go searching properly mainly due to my job, I haven't had time since i live fairly far from the city. hence ive just been asking around, many people have replyed to my emails saying they'd need to see them together, so it's really when i have time, but i just thought i'd have a go at seeing if anyone on google could tell without actually looking.

ps_bond
25-01-2013, 07:46 PM
If you've got both, drop the stone into the setting and post a close up. I hadn't realised from the brief look it's a part-set piece (lousy monitor earlier); that makes any modification to the setting much trickier.

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 09:15 PM
my camara is far too blurry, it just looks like a mess you cannot see anything, the setting is hand crafted by the way and not cast, does this make it easier?

Tabby66
25-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes.....should do, if you can go back to the person who 'hand-crafted' it for you........

I'm sorry kittykatt, but this may be a very expensive lesson......just because an item is quoted as 'hand-crafted' doesn't mean that actual one was 'made-by-hand' individually.........but the original (1,000....10,000.....+) back was......

An original handmade setting with stones already in is a nightmare to adjust.......(please feel free to correct me folks)..........., especially adjusting the setting in an already partially set ring :(

Not very positive, sorry,........think you'd be better talking to someone in person......

Best of luck xx

caroleallen
25-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Are you a jeweller Kittykat? If not, I think I'd take the ring to someone who's used to setting stones and ask them to set it for you.

kittykat7210
25-01-2013, 10:53 PM
no im not, i was going to go to a jeweller any way i just wanted to know if it could be done before i make the hour and a half journey to the city to find a jeweller, but seriously, its the size of a strand of hair, im pretty sure not all stones are size perfect!

silken
25-01-2013, 11:36 PM
With most commercially available gemstones, you can expect to have minor size differences even with calibrated stones but even 0.1mm can make a huge difference when it comes to setting a stone. I don't use pre-made settings because most stones simply won't fit in them. Unless the setting is spot on, the stone may not be fully supported or may simply be impossible to set. It's not worth damaging an expensive stone trying to fit it into an mis-sized setting or vice versa. For trillions I would always make my own setting because they vary so much in shape and dimensions. Definitely take it to a jeweller and see what they say but judging by your pictures, they would need to somehow modify the existing setting (difficult to say the least with the pre-set stones) or create a setting from scratch.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but don't give up! When you get a chance, take it to a good jeweller and see what they have to say. Without physically examining the setting and the stone they won't be able to tell you what needs to be done :)

Good luck!

ps_bond
26-01-2013, 08:20 AM
...but seriously, its the size of a strand of hair, im pretty sure not all stones are size perfect!

Human hair is generally in the order of 50 microns in diameter. This stone is asymmetric and has approximately a 4% difference to the quoted size of setting - if that is accurate. Given the source, I'd measure carefully before relying on it.

The human eye's a funny thing - set a line of stones with one 0.1mm out and it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

ps_bond
28-01-2013, 07:59 AM
I've been doing a bit more digging on this. A ring from the same supplier is being sold at slightly below the materials cost of doing it properly (i.e. decent quality stones & known alloy). So, given the price of gold is pretty much fixed worldwide, the price of diamonds similarly (I'm pretty much ignoring the coloured stone in the example I've looked at - it's negligible), there are labour costs involved (yes, it's China so labour costs are lower - but they still exist) - where do people think the "economising" is taking place?

It's the usual story - if something seems too good to be true, it isn't. Buy mass-produced, imported tat and you'll get what you pay for.