PDA

View Full Version : NEC Birmingham.

Dennis
20-01-2013, 11:22 AM
One of my gemstone suppliers has reminded me that the Birmingham Spring fair starts quite soon (3rd t0 7th of February).

The stands of interest to me will be quite sparse, but I guess Sutton tools will be there and a few gem companies, mostly selling strings of beads. Quite a long day and quite a lot of walking, but worth it for anyone living near.

The bonus is that you are under cover all the way from the station, but the venue is vast. I have never ventured into the other halls exhibiting gifts and kitsch, but I guess they might be closely guarded and need separate tickets. Dennis.

silken
20-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm registered to go this year. I've never been before as a jewellery professional but I attended about 7 years ago with a family member who had an online shop and it was huuuuuuuge. We spent most of the time in the gift & other merchandise halls and there was some fascinating stuff. I didn't get to see the jewellery hall as it needed a separate pass. My advice to anyone going is to wear some very comfy shoes as you'll be doing an awful lot of walking!

I got a leaflet from Marcia Lanyon the other day reminding me that they would be at the exhibition so I bet I will be spending a lot of time (and money) perusing the various gems they have to offer. There are a lot of other international gem dealers scheduled to be there too.

Didi
20-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi there. is it worth going to find some nice stones that I can see - in the real- as opposed to online?
Didi

silken
20-01-2013, 12:53 PM
In my experience, it is always nice to see gemstones in person before buying however the gemstones sold at large exhibitions such as this are generally not cheap so be prepared to pay more than you might otherwise pay online. Exhibitors can pay tens of thousands of pounds just to have a stall at the show. That said, you can get some really nice unusual stones! I'd recommend going as it is free to register so long as you register online before the show starts, otherwise it is £30 on the door. There's lots of other stuff at the show also. I'm mainly going to have a look at the jewellery tools and supplies and the packaging suppliers. I've recently got some custom jewellery boxes printed but I'd like to go and have a look at other packaging ideas :)

solitarysmagick
20-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I received a leaflet too and have registered myself and my fiancé to attend. It's the first jewellery show I'll have been to and am looking forward to it :) I'll be looking mainly at tools and supplies I think.

Didi
20-01-2013, 02:28 PM
if I go anywhere near tools my OH will go mental. I've just got a benchmate, my cup runneth over! I'd best stick to stones
Didi

solitarysmagick
20-01-2013, 03:53 PM
haha :) im lucky, my OH is a knifemaker so is always happy to look at tools too :)

Patstone
20-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes, me too. I've just got one too, the jewellers kit one. My next "got to have" is a tube cutter. But its my birthday at end of Feb and my daughter has told me catagorically not to purchase any tools until after that date as there are a couple of "really needs" on my wish list.

if I go anywhere near tools my OH will go mental. I've just got a benchmate, my cup runneth over! I'd best stick to stones
Didi

silken
21-01-2013, 12:06 AM
My OH point blank refused to come with me and I can't say I blame him because I will have my gem magpie mode on and I'll be hovering around anything sparkly all day long. My sister is coming with me instead. She's a toxicology lab tech so she'll just appreciate a day away from bodily fluids and analysers!

Patstone, I love my tube cutter! I made do with a joint filing tool for ages but the tube cutting tool is so much better. I hope you get lots of nice tools for your birthday. This wishlist business is great, I got a (long awaited) frosting wheel for Christmas from my cookies wishlist :)

Tabby66
21-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Definately worth a visit and although from limited sellers, I have found a widely priced variety of stones available, sadly my eye is always attracted by those which seem to cost more!! The rest of the Spring Fair is accessible with your jewellery pass, but if you go to the Spring Fair, you do need a separate pass for the jewellery section.............(I only trapse through the Spring Fair to find the train station, interesting observation, but I have never felt the need to stop) :snowball:

silken
01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Just a reminder to everyone, the fair starts this Sunday and registration is free if you do it online before the event.

I'm getting all excited as they will apparently have more loose gemstones than ever this year and I am an utter gemstone magpie so I can't wait!

louisella76
02-02-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm all set to go tomorrow, nice early start from Devon - I'm very excited as it's my first one. I'm leaving the other half safely at home mainly so he can't see how I much I 'may' end up spending!! (I can already hear myself 'but, it was bargain...honest!') ;)

Didi
06-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Went to Brum yesterday. Found some fabulous stones, spent far too much, my feet still hurt!
Didi