PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning jewellery

allyclaret
15-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi folks

Was just wondering how people finish their jewellery prior to dispatch to ensure polish is removed? Do you rely on ultrasonic cleaners, steam cleaners or hot soapy water and a brush? I've heard that steam cleaning is the only real way to remove all chemicals to reduce tarnishing. Is this true and do you use a commercial cleaner or would a domestic steam cleaner suffice?

Ally

medusa
15-01-2013, 04:35 PM
washing up liquid, hot water and my sonic toothbrush*. But I'm an occasional maker.

* I use an old head before you all go "euwwww!"

Moon Willow
15-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi Ally

Fairy liquid and hot water, I even use the washing up liquid in my ultra sonic, I purchase brand new toothbrushes from the pound shop (stiff bristles) this will remove the last bits of polishing residue from the most difficult of places.

A nice soft cloth to buff the item and then it should sparkle

Carlton

allyclaret
19-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your replies - much appreciated!

WOGlasgow
03-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Hi Ally,

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner this mixture works a treat put hot water, fairy liquid and amonia just a small amount four table spoons should do. And on most ocassions you wont need to use a brush as the pollish will be totaly cleaned out, but bare in mind the amonia has a strong smell.

Wallace
03-02-2013, 11:10 PM
I use the above sonic cleaner but with Blitz as it cleans without the stink of amonia and my cats don't go all funny on me! Amonia does something to them and I don't mean like cat nip. lol

If I cannot use the sonic cleaner, I have Blitz foam, but fairy will do just as good a job with some hot water to go with it.

caroleallen
04-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I use an ultrasonic with this http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Ultrasonic-2000-Cleaning-Fluid-1-Litre-Concentrated-With-Ammoniauc-prcode-999-CAU

Patstone
23-03-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't seem to get very good results with my ultrasonic. I have put ammonia in it and hot water and put it going. How long does it have to be put going for, mine seems to have a three minute timer.
I have the same one as Dave (Bigwol)

Gemsetterchris
23-03-2013, 04:24 PM
I`m sure i bought some nice friendly sonic solution somewhere..maybe sutton tools.
Ammonia works great but is nasty stuff.

I find filling the machine up too much reduces it`s effectiveness.

Patstone
23-03-2013, 06:26 PM
I use ammonia in mine, today i put in some washing up liquid and that seemed to work better. I havent had much luck with the White Dialux either, it always just left a black sticky residue, and today i was idly chatting to hubby and polishing with my foredom ad it turned out with a really shiny finish, stupid, I didnt realise that if you keep polishing that it finally gets rid of the black. I have always used a cloth to get the black off and never had very good results, ended up polishing it by hand totally to get the finish I want, but doing it by accident today has had miraculous results, so everything has ended up being polished, even my wedding ring.