PDA

View Full Version : Pure copper? In jewellery? Really?

Katia
03-01-2013, 12:11 AM
As I am now a seller on Folksy, I have been looking around the online shops quite a lot.
But today somethig stopped me in my track. A seller there describes his/ her items made out of " pure copper". What is " pure copper"?
Now as I am writing this question, something has just clicked. Is that PMC copper? I bet it it must be! Does that convey an idea of desirability to the customer? Sorry, thinking out loud here.
i hope this is not too stupid a question...

mizgeorge
03-01-2013, 12:48 AM
I also use the same description. I think it's the simplest way to differentiate from the huge mass of copper plated findings and 'antique copper' items that are widely available.

silken
03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Yep, as above, many people refer to copper as pure copper or solid copper simply to help them stand out from the deluge of plated material that is sneakily sold as copper under a long list of misnomers.

A side note, there's an awful lot of copper talk in the forum today! It's quite interesting as I only ever use it as a practice medium. I wonder whether it's becoming more commercially viable to sell solid copper jewellery? :)

Katia
04-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the information. nothing to do with PMC then! i am glad I asked the question and will make sure to use the term as well.

Apparently copper is " hot" at the moment according to a friend of mine who is a jeweller in the US. I am not sure why, but myself I think it is a beautiful metal wich offers many possibilities.