PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Vanessa
29-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi not sure where to start apologies in advance for the rambling...

I am 32, single mum to an 11 y.o I work part time as a Medical Secretary and make metal jewellery in my spare time.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get advice and may be even share what little i've learnt too and I hope it's ok for me to show you the pieces I've made. I could really do with getting peoples honest opinions on my basic attempts (you guys are amazingly talented people and I would love to be learn from you). I am in the process of applying to Uni to do jewellery and silversmithing full time - Sept 2013 intake. But I cant hide from the fact that I am a little scared of the lack of money and insecurity after having worked in the NHS all my working life and whether I am making a wise decision going down this route. But I dont know whether its madness setting in from the pickle pot (like the 'mad' hatters) or what it is [and as cheesy as this sounds] when I think about it my heart skips a beat and I get excited!

So thats me :)

Wallace
30-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Hi and welcome Vanessa, it sounds like you are on a great journey - wishing you all the best and in the meantime hopefully some sharing before then

kindest,

Wallace

Pauline
30-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi Vanessa

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Congrats re the course in 2013.

Re the financial bit of what you mentioned. The NHS has a policy of allowing career breaks, where you are entitled to take a break for a minimum of three months. Check out your contract for further info. In reality you would not be going back post study to your current job, but this would protect you fopr a period of time if you want to do part time work with part time study or if you have a timetable that permits you to work some hours per work for your current employer. HR could explain it further to you. In addition, as your current job is admin most NHS organisations have an admin bank which you could register with and secure some work when it was mutually convenient.

Like you I'm still learning, but I'm very happy to share any tips I pick up.

Good luck with everything.

I'll look forward to seeing your pics.

surfergirl
30-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi Vanessa

Welcome to the forum. :) I know you'll get great advice here. Is there a collective noun for 'a large bunch of fantastic people who so freely and kindly share their knowledge?'

Personally, as I've posted so little, I feel like a bit of a fraud but I hope to be posting more in the future.

medusa
30-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi there and welcome! It's worth knowing that if this is your first degree you are going for, then you get quite a bit of financial help especially as you are a single parent. This help is in the form of a bursary and grant, not a loan, so it doesn't have to be paid back.

As someone who is now on my third degree, I really really wish I had time and money to do a fourth in jewellery!

Anyway, look forward to seeing your work and bear in mind that a few of us here (~cough~me~cough~) are just wildly enthusiastic but not very adept amateurs, so don't be scared to show!

louisella76
30-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Vanessa

Welcome to the forum - I can only reiterate what others have already said, this is a really invaulable forum for getting advice, feedback and inspiration. I've been doing silversmithing for about a year now although had to recently take 4 months out so now keen to get back on that horse.

I have to admit - I'm extremely envious of your new journey as would love to do something similar (unfortunately the practically of saving up for a wedding means I need to keep my sensible head on...for now! ) I wish you the best of luck - I can imagine it may feel daunting but it's a fantastic step to take - go for it! Out of curiosity, where are you doing your course? I've been reading about the one in Plymouth as it's the closest to me in Devon.

Looking forward to seeing photo's of your work x

Katia
30-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes, welcome! You certainly are on a wonderful journey. Very curious to see pictures of your jewellery!
People here are so helpful, you will love this forum.

Vanessa
30-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone and thank you!

I'm applying to the Jewellery School (BCU) Birmingham as thats my closest. I know its tough to get in so wont be disheartened if I dont get offered a place I'll just keep trying (I'm not being negative just trying to be realistic and not get hopes up and all that lol)! Pauline yes exactly what I am doing I'm applying for a career break (but am still scared about it all) so that at least at the end of the course I know I will have something to fall back on will speak to HR regarding working during the hol's as my manager said I wont be able to but I'll check with them too as you say. Thanks everyone :) :)

I've just submitted a piece I made for my mums xmas prezzie into the December competition!

Patstone
30-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi, I looked at the course in Cornwall College, but they were quite expensive and it would have to be a one to one. Where in Devon are you, as you can see I am in Exeter. There is a shortage of good courses in the Westcountry, I wonder if anyone on the forum could teach you what you want to know. Quite a few of them teach I believe.

Hi Vanessa

Welcome to the forum - I can only reiterate what others have already said, this is a really invaulable forum for getting advice, feedback and inspiration. I've been doing silversmithing for about a year now although had to recently take 4 months out so now keen to get back on that horse.

I have to admit - I'm extremely envious of your new journey as would love to do something similar (unfortunately the practically of saving up for a wedding means I need to keep my sensible head on...for now! ) I wish you the best of luck - I can imagine it may feel daunting but it's a fantastic step to take - go for it! Out of curiosity, where are you doing your course? I've been reading about the one in Plymouth as it's the closest to me in Devon.

Looking forward to seeing photo's of your work x

lorraineflee
30-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi Vanessa, welcome from me too!!

louisella76
30-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi, I looked at the course in Cornwall College, but they were quite expensive and it would have to be a one to one. Where in Devon are you, as you can see I am in Exeter. There is a shortage of good courses in the Westcountry, I wonder if anyone on the forum could teach you what you want to know. Quite a few of them teach I believe.

Hi Pat, I'm also in Exeter (well, just slightly north in Bradninch). I've seen your posts on here but didn't realise you were in Exeter too :) I know what you mean about lack of courses in the area I've managed to find a good tutor so go to a class once a week however he doesn't do etching which I'd like to learn, the closest I've found is in Dorset. Have you had any luck with any other local courses?

medusa
30-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Carole does some teaching. Maybe she has spaces?

Patstone
30-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I went to Exeter College, one evening a week for 10 weeks. That is the only formal training I have had and that was very,very basic. I have learned all the other things from people on this forum, they have even drawn diagrams for me to follow, and by buying a few books. One kind lady on this forum came down to my house and showed my daughter and I how to set stone, she will know who I mean, very much appreciated and now I can set flush (gypsy) setting and tube setting for faceted stones, which makes a nice change from cabs, plus they are sparklier. If you push yourself to learn new things, there are plenty of people on here only too willing to help you.

Hi Pat, I'm also in Exeter (well, just slightly north in Bradninch). I've seen your posts on here but didn't realise you were in Exeter too :) I know what you mean about lack of courses in the area I've managed to find a good tutor so go to a class once a week however he doesn't do etching which I'd like to learn, the closest I've found is in Dorset. Have you had any luck with any other local courses?

Pauline
31-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone and thank you!

I'm applying to the Jewellery School (BCU) Birmingham as thats my closest. I know its tough to get in so wont be disheartened if I dont get offered a place I'll just keep trying (I'm not being negative just trying to be realistic and not get hopes up and all that lol)! Pauline yes exactly what I am doing I'm applying for a career break (but am still scared about it all) so that at least at the end of the course I know I will have something to fall back on will speak to HR regarding working during the hol's as my manager said I wont be able to but I'll check with them too as you say. Thanks everyone :) :)

Hi

Your manager is correct in that you would not be able to return to your current job to work during your career break. However, HR can easily advise you if they offer an option of you working for them during the hols in another role. Contact other Trusts to register in advance. Once Public Health England is formally created in April they might also have employment options that could be mutually convenient. The HR Dept of your local hospital A & E department is always a good place to try, due to the necessity of covering the 24/7 that is required of the department.

Tabby66
31-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Welcome Vanessa and good luck with your plans!!
Are you getting a portfolio together for BCU, I think they have a particular interest in creativity and design......it doesn't just need to be with metal!! Not the route I have chosen to take, but I wish you luck with it!!
This forum offers great support and knowledge, I hope you enjoy being around here ;)
Tabby x

Vanessa
31-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome Vanessa and good luck with your plans!!
Are you getting a portfolio together for BCU, I think they have a particular interest in creativity and design......it doesn't just need to be with metal!! Not the route I have chosen to take, but I wish you luck with it!!
This forum offers great support and knowledge, I hope you enjoy being around here ;)
Tabby x

Thanks Tabby. Yes I'm putting one together. I want to take in some (not all obviously) of the items as well so they can see them - not sure how to present those items (do I just take them in their presentation box or put them on a display - I'm thinking keep it simple). Also would you suggest I take in some of the non jewellery items I have made even though I do not have the drawings/plans for thme anymore? I thought maybe they would show my creativity... ?

Tabby66
31-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi Vanessa,
Please bear in mind that I didn't folow this route, my experience of BCU is 1)attending an open day and hearing how much they 'seemed' to look at each students' portfolio as a key to entry, 2) knowing that contemporary design and fashion is generally part of their portfolio across the board and 3) that jewellery is part of this and generally you will have fantastic access to design and technology, they will get you to think broadly..........

I think (and these are only my thoughts), you will need to be able to take everything in an A3+or slightly larger case / box, whatever, so long as you can carry it yourself and don't worry too much about it, just show them your thoughts, creativity and passion for what you want to do, if you can make an open day, do, it's quite informative and helped me decide what to do................

Vanessa
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Vanessa,
Please bear in mind that I didn't folow this route, my experience of BCU is 1)attending an open day and hearing how much they 'seemed' to look at each students' portfolio as a key to entry, 2) knowing that contemporary design and fashion is generally part of their portfolio across the board and 3) that jewellery is part of this and generally you will have fantastic access to design and technology, they will get you to think broadly..........

I think (and these are only my thoughts), you will need to be able to take everything in an A3+or slightly larger case / box, whatever, so long as you can carry it yourself and don't worry too much about it, just show them your thoughts, creativity and passion for what you want to do, if you can make an open day, do, it's quite informative and helped me decide what to do................

Oh yes I've been to their open day and exhibition - really helped me make my decision whether to reenter education and which course would suit me. I discussed amongst many things portfolios with the students and tutors which helped greatly just wasnt sure how to present it - dispite having asked lots of important questions the one important question I didnt think to ask was how the students presented their portfolios. Thanks for your advice Tabby I really appreciate it :)

Vanessa
22-02-2013, 10:33 PM
GUESS WHAT.... I have been offered a place at the jewellery school WHOOP WHOOP The interview wasnt half as scarey as I'd imagined and actually I enjoyed it - the longest interview I have ever had but I really enjoyed it totally! I am so excited ... its going to be tough but I am so excited!

silken
22-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Wow! Congratulations :D

I thought NHS interviews were bad but going for an interview at BCU would terrify me. Well done on getting an offer, I bet you're really excited! Don't be afraid of taking a different career route, I won't say it's easy but I promise it will be worth it in the long run. I've just left my NHS job to do this full time so I know how scary it can be.

Best of luck, would love to see some of your designs.

Vanessa
23-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Wow! Congratulations :D

I thought NHS interviews were bad but going for an interview at BCU would terrify me. Well done on getting an offer, I bet you're really excited! Don't be afraid of taking a different career route, I won't say it's easy but I promise it will be worth it in the long run. I've just left my NHS job to do this full time so I know how scary it can be.

Best of luck, would love to see some of your designs.

Thanks Emily I am HUGELY excited - it is a scarey leap and I keep waking up thinking am I doing the right thing but as corney as this sounds my heart skips a beat and i get such an excited feeling when I think about what I will learn and the possibilities and what an opportunity .... I know its going to be hardwork but I am going to acheive so much and it will be worth it ultimately as you say with hardwork and determination. I cant wait to share with people what I've made and to feel proud and have a real sense of pride in everything I do!

Going back to the interview I have to say it was the first interview where I felt i could be honest and not pretend to be what anyone wants i had nothing to hide (nothing to hide as in doubts and insecurities) so it was all good. I was honest and open about my pieces and discussed my mistakes and acheivements and how I'd make 'it' differently next time and so on it was great. I was very nervous though i couldnt drive myself to the interview and I had severe stomach cramps and I completely lost the feeling to my left foot oddly haha! All that disappeared as soon as the interview was over!

Are you self taught Emily?

I'll post my photos of my pieces over the next few days.

Tabby66
23-02-2013, 12:23 AM
WOOP WOOP Vanessa!!!! Well done =D>

You must be sooo proud....and have every right to be :dance: .......enjoy your course (and keep us up-to-date with piccies) xx

silken
23-02-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm pretty much completely self taught so I am far from an expert but I've been doing this for quite a few years. I loved my job, it was my profession and I am a biology nerd at heart but unfortunately I suffer from an ongoing illness and I made the decision to leave the NHS and concentrate on my jewellery because my health was suffering with all the long hours and exposure to nasty bugs and chemicals. This way I can do what I love but at my own pace without making my condition worse.

It makes me happy when I hear about people finally being able to live out their dreams. It's never too late to change the way you're heading. If it means so much to you that you get stomach cramps and butterflies just thinking about it, it's obviously something you desperately want & deserve.

You'll love it there, you can pop down to Cookies and the rest of the jewellery suppliers to get all sorts of tools and sparklies. Mind you, I try to limit the amount of times I let myself to go down to Hockley because I spend waaaaaay too much money and can't drag myself away. You lucky thing :D

Didi
23-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Oh Vanessa, Im so excited for you. Congratulations on getting in. How exciting. Just reading through this post has started me off again on wanting to do more of this. Im on about my third career but can't quite bring myself to make the leap - dont know if thats fear of failure or what. Big, big congratulations to you. Please keep us all posted.
Love Didi

Vanessa
23-02-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty much completely self taught so I am far from an expert but I've been doing this for quite a few years. I loved my job, it was my profession and I am a biology nerd at heart but unfortunately I suffer from an ongoing illness and I made the decision to leave the NHS and concentrate on my jewellery because my health was suffering with all the long hours and exposure to nasty bugs and chemicals. This way I can do what I love but at my own pace without making my condition worse.

It makes me happy when I hear about people finally being able to live out their dreams. It's never too late to change the way you're heading. If it means so much to you that you get stomach cramps and butterflies just thinking about it, it's obviously something you desperately want & deserve.

You'll love it there, you can pop down to Cookies and the rest of the jewellery suppliers to get all sorts of tools and sparklies. Mind you, I try to limit the amount of times I let myself to go down to Hockley because I spend waaaaaay too much money and can't drag myself away. You lucky thing :D

WOOP WOOP Vanessa!!!! Well done =D>

You must be sooo proud....and have every right to be :dance: .......enjoy your course (and keep us up-to-date with piccies) xx

Oh Vanessa, Im so excited for you. Congratulations on getting in. How exciting. Just reading through this post has started me off again on wanting to do more of this. Im on about my third career but can't quite bring myself to make the leap - dont know if thats fear of failure or what. Big, big congratulations to you. Please keep us all posted.
Love Didi

Thanks everyone I really really really want this. I am scared of failing but I think thats a good thing because I believe it makes you work harder. I AM SOOOO EXCITED lol. I'll post my pics of some of the things I have made and I will definately keep you updated with how its going on my course and what I am up to. :D

Vanessa
05-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Thought I'd update... I started uni in Sept and am loving it. So far I have no regrets. Found the drawing element tricky though as have to rethink the way I think and draw, which is ok... I'm there to be challenged and to learn how to design and craft beautiful, original, pieces :) Anyway so far I have made a 'pickle label' (a measuring, saw piercing and filing exercise) and we are designing and making an insect themed sculpture and a keyring inbetween with lots of learning 0f various techniques as we go along which will all go towards the final making of the insect. :) Staff and students are warm and welcoming and friendly. I feel at home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Goldsmith
05-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Good luck with your learning Vanessa, I would be interested in seeing your insect ideas. I have made a few insect sculpture pieces myself and would be happy to give any tips if you want any. I have made butterflies, dragonflies, flies and spiders to decorate some of my pieces.

James

enigma
05-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Oh yes pics would be great! well done Vanessa!

Vanessa
05-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks James that's really kind ... it's a really abstract idea of an insect. I'm still developing the idea in my sketch book. I'm looking at the cicada (the north American singing insect). Are you based in the Birmingham JQ? (Ha ha don't worry I'm not about to descend on you or anything)

Tabby66
05-10-2014, 08:38 PM
So glad to hear you are enjoying your course Vanessa, are you at the Birmingham School of Jewellery (BIAD)??

Vanessa
05-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi Tabby yes I am :)

Tabby66
05-10-2014, 08:48 PM
I work out of the Jewellery Quarter a couple of days a week, I occasionally pop in to see the work on display....are you local or have you moved up for your course??

Vanessa
05-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I remember you saying in a previous post. I'm local. The work on display is amazing I hope to create work as impressive :) I'm not sure if I've already said but I'm on the HND.

Tabby66
06-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Oooh, good luck with your course Vanessa and keep enjoying!!

Vanessa
06-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks Tabby. Had a really interesting lecture today (industry studies) think I've talked everyone to death about it today -whether they are interested or not! Ha ha