PDA

View Full Version : Earring disaster

theresa
17-12-2012, 03:18 PM
A customer has just brought in these 'earrings' . He inadvertently put them in the fire with the wrapping! They were well and truly roasted.
They are 9ct white gold and Tanzanite with a tiny diamond at the top.
Can anyone advise me about cleaning white gold? I have tried but the colour is slightly yellow and looks pitted. Also 2 of the Tanzanite stones are cloudy so I think they are damaged. One 'diamond' also has lost its sparkle.
He is hoping I can either mend the earrings or take out the stones and put them into something else. He paid £150 for them - so not cheap.
To mend them I will have to remove all of the stones and re-attach the components somehow. Not used to working with 9ct white gold.
In your opinion(s) do you think it is worth a) mending them, b)putting the stones into something else or c) tell him not worth it.
Also, is it possible to solder sterling onto white gold? Is it ok to use silver solder?4151
Many thanks in advance

Theresa

mizgeorge
17-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I think he'd be better off claiming on insurance!

Patstone
17-12-2012, 04:22 PM
That doesnt always work either. About 20 years ago, my parents were knocking down an adjoining toilet and bathroom to make a bigger bathroom and when they had taken all the spoil to the tip, mum noticed that she had lost one of the huge diamonds that were in her mothers engagement ring (my mum is now 95) so the ring was over 100 years old at the time. The insurance company would pay out for a new ring but not for just the diamond, as it was sentimental value she had an inferior diamond put back in, one like the original would have been so expensive and difficult to find.

I think he'd be better off claiming on insurance!

pearlescence
17-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I have a feeling that the time for repair is going make repair uneconomic...you could suggest that you shove them as is into your tumble polisher for a few mins to see what happens, but I would be very chary of getting involved in this.

theresa
18-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone - After a lot thought I have decided not to attempt this - not worth the possible aggro.

Theresa

ps_bond
18-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I think that's the approach I'd take too. Doesn't matter how much you warn people of the risks, as soon as you attempt to deal with it everything becomes your fault.

Tabby66
18-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I think that's the approach I'd take too. Doesn't matter how much you warn people of the risks, as soon as you attempt to deal with it everything becomes your fault.

Completely agree with Peter!! I wouldn't touch it either Theresa :)