PDA

View Full Version : A Free Lunch.

Dennis
17-12-2012, 06:40 AM
To contradict a well-known saying , there is such a thing as a free lunch, or at least a valuable half hour video, which I have had bookmarked for a couple of weeks. I wish I could remember who recommended it here so that I could thank them by name.

‘Polishing with Power Tools’, presented by Joe Silvera for Beaducation, will certainly show you the basics of working with a motor, introduce you to the split mandrel for abrasive paper and how to use silicon wheels and radial disks.

It also shows the proper way to support and control a handpiece against a bench peg and how to hold the handpiece in your fist. When I am in a class I despair of the way work is held up in the air, or flat on the bench , so making a ghastly noise, and the handpiece is held between finger and thumb, like a pen.

No wonder some people are scared of motors and never get over it. Thank you, the person who recommended this video. Thank you Joe Silvera and thank you Beaducation.

One reservation though: I would much rather the demonstrator had started with clean hands. No doubt when Mr Silvera gets home for dinner, Mrs Silvera will send him straight to the bathroom. Here is the link: http://www.beaducation.com/vids/detail/159 Dennis

caroleallen
17-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks Dennis. I've never really got to grips with silicone wheels, so will have to try them out. I also thought you had to tape the sandpaper to the split pin, which is quite time consuming. I'm not sure I like having the paper flapping around, but it would certainly save time. I've never seen those pin polishing things, but will certainly look for some.

Carl Grigg
17-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Excellent vid that Thanks for the link. Being self taught in this area I found it very useful.

Keia
18-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Excellent vid that Thanks for the link. Being self taught in this area I found it very useful.
Second that! Thankyou for the link =D