PDA

View Full Version : Oxycon

trialuser
13-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone - happy Christmas and all that stuff.
I've just got a 'refurbished' oxycon from the well known glass making supplier and am very pleased so far, brilliant speedy service. (ordered yesterday, arrived this morning:-) )
I have a question which I hope other users will be able to help me with.
I am using it with a smiths little torch (probably a counterfit) and a number 6 nozzle.
The flow rate needs to be set so low that the flow ball doesn't even move and after a few minutes the red service light comes on. If I up the flow rate, which obviously blows the flame out, the red light goes off.
I have contacted the supplier and they too think it's because the flow is so low.
Do any of you use this combination, and do you get the red light on?
Does anyone know the mechanics of these and if, effectively strangulating the machine to virtually no flow, will damage it.
Thanks
Martyn

medusa
13-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't get the res service light come on on mine, but the amount of oxygen which comes through needs to be minuscule as it blows the flame out otherwise. I think I need something bigger than a number 6.

mizgeorge
13-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I set my oxycon at about 2lpm, and that seems spot on for the little torch. You need to control the flow to torch at the torch end - light with propane only and then 'dial in' the oxygen with the torch valve.

medusa
13-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I set my oxycon at about 2lpm, and that seems spot on for the little torch. You need to control the flow to torch at the torch end - light with propane only and then 'dial in' the oxygen with the torch valve.

I do that, but it still seems to keep blowing out. I know I'm going wrong somewhere, just not quite sure where!

trialuser
13-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I know how to light it, it can be lit whether the flow rate is set to 1 or 5 lpm, as you say, the output to the torch is determined by the oxygen knob on the torch.
I just wondered if it was usual to get the red service light come on.
When I was on bottled O2, I only used 1 lpm, but I suppose that is 100% and the oxycon would be low 90's at best I suppose.
Cheers
Martyn
here is a video https://www.dropbox.com/s/gexg7j3p8w0xh46/oxycon.mov

medusa
13-12-2012, 02:51 PM

I do that, but it still seems to keep blowing out. I know I'm going wrong somewhere, just not quite sure where!

trialuser
13-12-2012, 03:06 PM
The flow meter on the oxycon is just indicating the flow rate (in lpm) through the flowmeter.
Assuming there are no leaks in the hose, this is determined by the flow rate through the torch, it can't be anything else, the oxygen is only going out through the torch, unless the torch is huge and can use more O2 than the oxycon can deliver, also ignoring the pipe resistance which can be ignore in this case.
If you put your finger over the end of the nozzle and stop the flow - the flow rate drops to nothing, unsurprisingly :-) The ball float is not indicating pressure.
Medusa - perhaps try a gentler touch - gently on the knob. I'm sure someone will chirp in here!

mizgeorge
13-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Just a thought trialuser, but are you letting it run (valves open) for a while before you use it?

Liz - take a look here: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38577.0 (amongst other oxycon threads on that forum). It sounds almost like you're getting some air rather than oxygen, which could mean an internal leak. There are some threads on FHF about how to deal with that too.

medusa
13-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I'll have a ponder, George. I can get a blue flame, but it's so tiny it is really difficult to get even quite small things hot. If I try to make it bigger, it just goes out. I thought it was just that the number 6 nozzle is too small and I need a bigger one, but now I'm concerned it's something more serious.

trialuser
13-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Medusa - the video I linked to above is using a no 6 nozzle - is yours like that, it has plenty of heat for rings and the like.
George - I wasn't aware I was supposed to run it open circuit to start, but yes, coincidentally I have done this on some of the occasions.
I work as a Paramedic so I come across these fairly often with people on home Oxygen. I have seen them set as low as 1 lpm so I would have thought they would be ok at low flow rates without triggering a red light.

medusa
13-12-2012, 04:52 PM
I get nowhere near as big a flame as that! it's about half that size. I'll see if I can get hold of a video of it. I'll gaffer tape my mouth to remove the need to add bleeps in after.

WitchfordSilver
21-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I find that I have to let it run for about 10min before using it. Also after i've turned the gas off I reopen the oxy valve to allow the oxy to flow, this stops the oxycon tripping a red light due to no flow. Mine don't like to run with no flow for about 1min before the red light.

I keep the oxycon flow valve max open as the flow is defined by the torch valve.

Merry Christmas folks.

trialuser
21-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I've sussed out and solved the problem thanks for all the replies.
It was down to the fact that the little torch barely needs 0.3lpm with a no 5 tip, the oxycon is unhappy with flow rates of less than about 0.5lpm and shows a red light after a few minutes.
I solved it by putting a y piece in the tube and splitting the flow between the torch and another branch. On the other branch I have a tap slightly open venting into the room, to give a flow rate of about 2 lpm, the oxycon is happy with this.
When I use the torch the flow then rises to 2.3lpm which the oxycon can easily supply.
I have found that it needs to run for a couple of minutes before using it to get the Oxygen concentration up sufficiently, until then you are effectively blowing air through the torch and it is easy to blow the flame out.
Here is the instruction manua (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehwjirssru381yh/515A-Patient_Guide.pdf)l for the one I have (Devilbiss 515) if anyone needs it.
Cheers
Martyn