PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get....

t1ggerk1ns
10-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Green Topaz.
My daughter wants me to make her and her daughter matching jewellery. She wants them with their birthstones in. Grandaughter is easy, hers is diamond. But stupidly, I asked my daughter what colour topaz she wanted, and after looking on the net, she decided she wants green. I can't find any anywhere.
Any ideas???????

mizgeorge
10-12-2012, 05:32 PM
What is it you're looking for? Faceted stones, cabochons, beads, briolettes?

silken
10-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Are you looking for a faceted stone or a cabochon?

cary1961
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Try A E Ward in London. You'll need to phone them as Green Topaz isn't on their lists. I can't post the url because I'm too new apparently!

Phone - 020 7253 4036
fax - 020 7608 2703
email - orders@aewgems.co.uk
Cary :)
Love Your Jewellery

t1ggerk1ns
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Ideally I want faceted, as I want to try and match them to the small diamonds I removed from a very old fashioned ring prior to scrapping it in. I did check A E Wards, but as they didn't list green anywhere on their site, I assumed they didn't stock it.

Tabby66
10-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Ideally I want faceted, as I want to try and match them to the small diamonds I removed from a very old fashioned ring prior to scrapping it in. I did check A E Wards, but as they didn't list green anywhere on their site, I assumed they didn't stock it.

Always worth giving them a call, they often have or can order in stones that aren't on their web catalogue!

Dennis
10-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Green topaz does exist but is rare and likely to be expensive. I would suggest they agree to blue, which is moderately priced and comes in three shades, of which the medium one, called Swiss blue is the one I mostly use and London blue is darker.

Below Is my ring with a Swiss blue topaz cabochon. The faceted stones are more sparkly. Dennis.

pearlescence
10-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Steve Bennett (gemstv ) has a heart shaped faceted mystic green on the gem collector website and is probably a good source to find a different size and shape as well - prob the biggest stock of gems in the UK
http://gemcollector.com/Store.aspx?Colour=17&ColourText=Green&Gemstone=80&GemstoneText=Topaz&Items=16
it's £14

mizgeorge
10-12-2012, 11:00 PM
surely 'mystic' topaz is just a titanium coating though?

There are a few decent ones on etsy, if you can bear the wait for them to be delivered from overseas.

silken
10-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I did have some small green topaz stones (3mm) a while ago but I sold them. I'll be getting more in January when I place my next big gemstone order so if you're still looking for them, feel free to send me a message. Green topaz is much harder to find as most commercially available topaz is heated to become swiss, sky or London blue topaz but you can still find green topazes if you look hard enough. Maybe you could persuade your daughter to go for a different colour? The blue shades are beautiful, especially London blue. JoopyGems sells some beautiful rose cut London blue topaz cabs but they wouldn't match your existing diamond. Or you could suggest a simple white topaz. If they're well cut they make a beautiful diamond substitute.

A quick word of advice though, I am an avid gem collector and buy and sell gemstones and 'mystic topaz' or anything 'mystic' coated is generally not worth the money you pay for it. The coating can easily become worn (depending on how the stone it set and handled) and you end up with a rather peculiar stone :(