PDA

View Full Version : Sizing a ring shank

Hayles Gerry
10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I have a new design using a horseshoe shaped ring shank... I was hoping someone out there could advice on how to go about creating sizes in this design?

Lets say I have a finger size K. On a full ring this would be easy to do. When part of the shank is replaced by a decorative designe that does not fit snug around the finger, but flat on top does anyone know if there is a formula that tends to work to make sure the ring is as snug as poss... e.g. size 1/2 size less?

I have attached a photo which probably far better explains what I am aiming at....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hayley

Dennis
10-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Yes, this is what to do:

Using a ring sizer of the required size, find a knuckle on one of your own fingers which it will only just pass over. Make a note of the knuckle and how it feels to you, eg: Right index finger, first knuckle, very tight.

Now adjust your new ring to give you the same feeling. I call this the Memory Game and use it for D shaped and square rings too. It is also useful for verifying the size of shanks which are much wider than my sizers.

Please note that fingers will change slightly with the time of day and from day to day, so information gained in this way is only valid for a short time and has to be re confirmed. Dennis.

Hayles Gerry
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks Dennis. I will give this a try. Much appreciated. Hayley

Dennis
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I also should add this, Haley:

The customer needs to present the same finger for the finished ring, because if they forget which it was, or change their mind, you are in for a nasty surprise.

It';s happened to me. You couldn't make it up. Regards, Dennis.

Hayles Gerry
13-12-2012, 10:20 PM
That is mad... good heads up though... not to self to write down which finger they presented! many thanks hayley