PDA

View Full Version : Our Homebrew Crystal and Jewellery Website is Born

alexyarm
04-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Just put together, after months of labour, our first custome-coded website: http://www.complexity.co.uk (http://complexity.co.uk)
Feedback always welcome :D

Carl Grigg
04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Very fast site and easy to navigate. Currently the about tab leads to the home page. Now though you have to get the rest of those pictures up :)

alexyarm
13-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Very fast site and easy to navigate. Currently the about tab leads to the home page. Now though you have to get the rest of those pictures up :)

Hey, thanks from the feedback! Slowly getting there with the pictures, I'm just finding out how much skill is actually required to take them,
I've a new respect for professional photographers.

Dennis
13-04-2013, 09:01 PM
The route from image to PayPal is easy to follow. You'd be surprised at how often I give up rather than waste any more time over this.
The photography needs more attention as you have hinted yourself. The following are aids, if you don't already have them:

A light cube, The cheapest 400mm one around £10 would do. A lamp on each side with 100W bulbs.
A camera on which you can adjust the white balance and increase the exposure level when using white backgrounds.
A clamp or tripod for the camera.
A further lamp with a flexible arm and multiple LEDs to give sparkle to faceted stones and crystals.
A simple programme, such as Photoshop Elements, which will guide you when cropping, adjusting brightness and contrast, adjusting colour and sharpening images.

I hope I have not spoken out of turn. Dennis.

caroleallen
13-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree with what's been said so far. Also there's nothing about you on your site. People do like to see a bit of background before they'll trust you enough to buy anything.

solitarysmagick
13-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Nice looking website :) Only thing I would add would be an info page stating postage costs, delivery times, returns policy etc.

Rachael x

LydiaNiz
14-04-2013, 05:49 PM
your peridot cross is coming up as 0.00

alexyarm
15-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone and the nice compliments! It's very useful getting other people's opinions on things that my own eyes are now used to seeing.

your peridot cross is coming up as 0.00

^^^ Bug fixed, thanks for the heads up.

Also, great ideas on putting postage/returns/delivery information up. As well as some background information on who we are.. all very useful information, I agree.

Finally, thanks for the light cube tips Dennis, I managed to build one of of scraps bits of wood and a sheet in the end and saved 30 pounds on buying one :D.
I've also found that the key to decent photos is lighting. Incandescent bulbs are too yellow I find, even the daylight ones. So I've gone for 2 LED floodlights, they
make a real difference. Then a cheap old digital macro camera with a tripod. I've also gone for the Linux GIMP rather than photoshop, its just as good and *free*. If anyones linterested in the setup just let me know and I'll post a pic.