PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bracelet

katb
04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Hello,

I have been out of the loop for a long time growing a little person, she is 2 months old and i would like to make her a baby bangle/bracelet for her 1st christmas. Now i dont have any idea how to make a sliding one,like the traditional identity bracelet, so thought maybe easier to make an open ended one. I would like to stamp her name on it, so it cant be too thin or round. So my question is...what sort/size of wire would i need please?

Kat

silken
04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
You say you'd like to stamp her name on to the bracelet, do you already have a set of stamps? If so, what height are the letters? That's the first thing you'll need to think about before ordering your wire/sheet just to make sure that your stamping will fit and won't distort the metal too much :)

Anna Wales
04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi Kat.
Just in case you want to make a sliding bracelet! They are fun to make and quite easy, you just have to be careful with the soldering. I used to use patterned wire (different patterns and widths available). You need about 18cms of wire and solder a small rectangle(like a rectangular jump ring) onto one end of the wire,with the wire sitting on the ring. Shape the patterned wire into a circle then reverse the ring on the other end but thread the wire through first. Hard to explain so I've put a photo of one up.

Wallace
04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi Kat.

congratulations on your little one.

medusa
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
you could make one where the ends overlap and wrap around the other side. I saw a version from ancient greece in the V&A recently. I can't find a pic of it, but this is the kind I mean...

http://www.handmadesilverjewelry.biz/images/silver-adjustable-bangle-handmade.jpg

katb
06-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Ahhh iv just replied and its vanished...grrr!

Thanks for the replies. Ideally i would of loved to have made one like Anna suggested, but i just dont understand how to do it. I understand soldering the rectangular jump ring to one end+side of the wire,but i dont get how you do the other end and its slidey. So was going to do an open cuff..but obviously very petite and can then bend open/close! What thickness of wire do you use Anna?

Many thanks Kat

katb
06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
If i used 5mm wide do you think 0.84mm is too thin?
Kat

Dennis
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
No, it's fine. Any thicker and it might resist adjustment for a baby's wrist. Dennis.

Patstone
06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I have one like Anna's from years ago, if you need a close up picture of one I can take it for you.

If i used 5mm wide do you think 0.84mm is too thin?
Kat

Anna Wales
06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Sorry I haven't explained it very well Kat and it was a quick scan not a proper photo. Hopefully this shows it better. I used 4mm ready -made patterned wire but 5 would be fine. It's still available from Cooksons I think. Dennis is right that if it's too thick it doesn't work on a little wrist!

katb
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much all of you. Yes i see a bit a clearer in that photo Anna,think i understand how you mean...im going to give it a go...

Thankyou, Kat

alexyarm
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Congratulations on the little one! Please bear in mind any choking hazard when making jewellery for small chlidren though.

Dennis
07-12-2012, 05:48 AM
The mind boggles.

When a baby is old enough to get the bracelet off, it will certainly put it in its mouth, but could it choke on it? We'll soon have yet another directive from Europe I fear.

Dennis.

ps_bond
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
While I can see it being a valid caveat as a general children + jewellery situation, perhaps the level of risk involved with a bracelet is negligible?
Well, assuming nothing falls off it!

Wallace
08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I guess that is a buyer beware on most products, adult or child these days. Common sense not prevailing!

Keia
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I love these types of bracelets! Both my boys had one when they were little. I didn't make them though as I was still at the component jewellery stage back then. My (now 4 year old) never took his off, but my youngest (now 2) always managed to wriggle his off, teeth a bit on it, bash it on the floor but never managed to get the whole bracelet in his mouth. I was never worried about chocking hazzard as he never left my sight and the bracelet was way too big for his mouth.
The only bracelets for babies that I dissagree with are the ones with the little dangly bits on like bells & such. Most of those types that I've seen (mainly being sold on facebook) aren't with soldered closed jumprings, so chances are the baby could just pull off one of those bells and it's those that's the real choking hazzard. x

pearlescence
08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
My grandson is 10 months and teething - has anyone made/bought amber beads which are supposed to be helpful (not chewing them, just mystically soothing somehow)..did they help?

medusa
08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
The people I know who bought amber bead necklaces for their teething sprogs got them so they could be chewable. I'm a bit skeptical about any magical soothing properties!

Keia
08-12-2012, 11:42 PM
My grandson is 10 months and teething - has anyone made/bought amber beads which are supposed to be helpful (not chewing them, just mystically soothing somehow)..did they help?

Anything that claims to be mystically empowered etc etc is a load of codswallop, to be polite =) Don't be conned xx

katb
09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Well i mucked up the stamping...tiredness from a newborn getting to me..ha ha!! So i will attempt again,but just a simple open cuff (but obv not a thick one,just a narrow 5mm but can open /close!
And thanks for the concern,but i wont ever leave my child with jewellery or dress her up like Mr T with dangly chains and all-sorts..ha ha!! I still have my bracelet from when i was a baby which has great sentimental value to me...and for my daughter to have something to keep with her forever..and more so something that her mum made her is extra special :)

My sis-in-law used the Amber beads for her daughter while teething and said they helped..

Thanks Kat xx

Patstone
10-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Just a thought, perhaps its because the amber stays cool, that they say it helps with teething. I havent had any babies around apart from puppies for a very long time.

Keia
11-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Both of my wee ones took teething really well. The eldest was more than happy to "chew" on a cold flannel. Apart from that I can't really offer any advice on teething, except steer clear of charlatans xx

medusa
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
My husband's grandmother recommended dipping a dummy in brandy when ours were teething. She was quite shocked to find we didn't use dummies.

Keia
18-12-2012, 09:53 PM
My husband's grandmother recommended dipping a dummy in brandy when ours were teething. She was quite shocked to find we didn't use dummies.

We didn't use dummies either =) To be fair, we didn't need to as they both suck their thumbs >< I'd have been having kittens if anyone suggested using brandy lol.
How is the bracelet comming along Katb?