PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a living from selling jewellery?

Mya345
04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Hello all, I am looking for some advice. Over the last couple of months I have been busy refining my art clay technique and now have some original prototypes that I think would sell well. I have always been employed in permanent jobs with a consistent income and, although I would like to make a living out of selling jewllery, I would like to hear from others about if they have examples of people who have been successful and those who have not. I would also be interested in hearing the typical income you coul expect to make selling jewellery?

Thanks for all of your help :)

caroleallen
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Mya. I'd say the answer is yes, but it won't be amazing and it will probably take you several years before you'll earn what you're earning now. It's a full time, full on job and you'll need to spend every waking hour either making or promoting your business. No weekends off or even evenings off, particularly at Christmas. I'm not prepared to say what I earn but I'm happy with it.

Mya345
04-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your advice Carol, it's much appreciated :) I might try doing it in my spare time and continue working full time to see how I get on!

ps_bond
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
That is probably a wise approach. Well, I like to think so anyway. Remember to register as self-employed as well so that your tax returns can reflect the additional profits (although in the ramp-up stage of running it as a small business, those profits will be negative and consequently can be offset against tax. I am not a tax adviser :) ).

Babette InProgress
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I think like with every business it is taking time to establish your income. I know few people who are having a good money from it but if asking them how long they are making and selling jewellery the number is always over 6 years :) Don't understand me wrong I a not trying to tell you that it will take you 6 years to have any money from it, but I wouldn't expect to sell something every day :)

silken
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Great advice so far.

I wholeheartedly recommend reading 'Setting up a successful jewellery business' by Angie Boothroyd. I got it for £9 from Amazon and while it contains a lot of common sense information there is a lot of content that is extremely helpful and it is specifically geared towards the UK market. It has some great tips on business in general, legalities (including distance selling regs, etc), pricing, pitching to retailers, all sorts of things :)

Mya345
04-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I am very grateful for all of the advice, the response has been great. It's funny you mention Angie's book, I bought it a couple of weeks ago, it's great :)

alexyarm
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Its certainly do-able but you have to be a good salesperson as well as a good jewellery maker. I've been to a lot of shows where it seems the jeweller is more interested in reading a book or talking to freinds than telling me about their wares.

Patstone
04-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi, but you teach as well dont you. How many hours a month on average are spent teaching please, in relation to how much time you spend jewellery making etc. Are your profits, say 20% a month teaching and 80% making, promoting and selling. I have often thought that unless you do loads of Craft Shows and like you, and travel all over the country, that you can make money but not enough to live on. At the moment my daughter and I are doing one craft show a month, and make about £100 each on a good day, albeit one in a seaside town.

Hi Mya. I'd say the answer is yes, but it won't be amazing and it will probably take you several years before you'll earn what you're earning now. It's a full time, full on job and you'll need to spend every waking hour either making or promoting your business. No weekends off or even evenings off, particularly at Christmas. I'm not prepared to say what I earn but I'm happy with it.

Anna Wales
04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi Mya. I ran my own business at 21 back in the 80's for 8 years and it was one of the best things I've ever done. The expectation each morning walking up the road and unlocking the door, wondering who you'd meet,what you'd make.hopefully how many sales you'd have, it was a great adventure and I'm glad I did it but it was a big commitment with overheads that you had to pay every week whether you took any money in the shop or not. Then there was no online selling, very few hobby jewellers and only the odd craft fair so competition was nowhere near as fierce as it is now.
I have now decided to once again re-start my making and am attending craft fairs to show my work to people and then in the New Year hopefully get an online shop. I think it's important to let people see and feel your work, then maybe have a website and shop to sell from too, at least you can test the waters while still keeping your income coming in. With a shop, you are the last one in line to get a payment. Sorry if it's a ramble but having been on both sides I hope some of it helps!

caroleallen
04-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I only teach about once or twice a month, so it only accounts for a small part of my income. Some of my craft fairs have been disappointing this year, so I'm cutting back on them next year and only doing the ones I know I can rely on. The majority of my income is from online sales and commissions. About half of my sales are made in the Christmas period. It's been absolutely manic this year - better get back to it!

Patstone
04-12-2012, 08:12 PM
I suppose you have to work long hours to keep up with the demand, but what does your husband/partner think of you working such long hours. I know mine wouldnt be very happy on the days he has off, but I cant work in the evenings even if I wanted to as my workshop is my spare bedroom next to where he is sleeping, he works four nights a week.

I only teach about once or twice a month, so it only accounts for a small part of my income. Some of my craft fairs have been disappointing this year, so I'm cutting back on them next year and only doing the ones I know I can rely on. The majority of my income is from online sales and commissions. About half of my sales are made in the Christmas period. It's been absolutely manic this year - better get back to it!

caroleallen
04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Steve and I work as a team. I do the jewellery and he does everything else. Apart from his pension, it's our only income, so it's in his interests. He even does shows for me so that I can stay at home and get orders out.

Patstone
05-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Lucky girl, I wish my hubby would take more interest. He is working strange hours I suppose, but even though he has an army pension it wouldnt be enough to live on and pay a mortgage. On the craft fair days, he dog sits, as we have two dogs and my daughter has a Standard Poodle puppy, five months old, bit of a handful, and both of my dogs are under three, poodle is already bigger than my Lab.

Steve and I work as a team. I do the jewellery and he does everything else. Apart from his pension, it's our only income, so it's in his interests. He even does shows for me so that I can stay at home and get orders out.

Keia
08-12-2012, 12:48 PM
I approach my jewellery making as more of a hobby than a business as I never make a profit. I've done a couple of craft type stalls (which I hate doing) and only made enough to pay off a £50 phone bill. Aye it was one less bill to worry about, but no living wage. The only reason I stick with it is because being a mum in quite a small village finding a "proper job" is not an option. There's no work around here. I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place at the moment.
I have no qualifications, can't drive (can't afford too!), can't go to college until the babies are both in full time education, I'm 500 odd miles away from my friends & family, my husband works all day every day & I hated the idea of being "stuck". My jewellery gives me the oppertunity to self learn new skills and to be honest if I didn't do it I'd loose the plot. x

louisella76
08-12-2012, 02:53 PM
I think another point to consider as well is whilst you can take pleasure from earning an income in doing it as hobby, it could be very different if you quit your job to rely it on as your sole income. It's different making something because you want to as opposed to because you have to in order to pay the bills. I'd agree with the others that as it's early days, keep your main job and do the jewellery making as a sideline. I work full time and make jewellery in the evenings / weekends - I like to think my full time job is what allows me to afford the tools, silver etc to do what I most enjoy :)

Patstone
08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh dear, it sounds as if you are a bit fed up. It will get better eventually. When your babies get a bit older and a bit more independent, it will open a few doors too. Is there a creche/nursery school, for little people, if not start one up, you will have to get a CRB Certificate, if you are on benefits you may be able to get them to pay. There may be others in the village in the same situation as you. Are you in the UK, if so its worth asking if they can help fund it.

I approach my jewellery making as more of a hobby than a business as I never make a profit. I've done a couple of craft type stalls (which I hate doing) and only made enough to pay off a £50 phone bill. Aye it was one less bill to worry about, but no living wage. The only reason I stick with it is because being a mum in quite a small village finding a "proper job" is not an option. There's no work around here. I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place at the moment.
I have no qualifications, can't drive (can't afford too!), can't go to college until the babies are both in full time education, I'm 500 odd miles away from my friends & family, my husband works all day every day & I hated the idea of being "stuck". My jewellery gives me the oppertunity to self learn new skills and to be honest if I didn't do it I'd loose the plot. x

pearlescence
08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Not wanting to rain on any parades but once you sell just one item you need to register as doing self-employment with hmrc. chances are you will pay no tax as you have your personal allowance plus you can offset all costs but you are not evading tax which is illegal

ps_bond
08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I saw a delightful story recently where HMRC had decided that someone was evading tax responsibilities, concluded that they owed £5M in tax and shut them down - all with no evidence. It's a really good idea to keep them on-side...!
TBH, it's not all that onerous.

Keia
08-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Not wanting to rain on any parades but once you sell just one item you need to register as doing self-employment with hmrc. chances are you will pay no tax as you have your personal allowance plus you can offset all costs but you are not evading tax which is illegal

You're not raining on anyones parades, I'm already registered. I entend to work as hard as I can with the jewellery while going to college. In the meantime, I can build up some skills and tools so I can hit it hard when the time comes =)
No, we don't claim anything which is my main problem of never getting help with anything. It's a pride thing more than anything else. Also, the thought of looking after other peoples children really doesn't appeal! x

When I said I approach it as a hobby I meant it in the way that I don't expect to make a liveable wage from it, atleast for now =)

Jade
10-12-2012, 08:18 AM
The thing about making your living from making jewellery it is not only making designs that people would like to buy but it is finding the customers to buy them. I find that I spend far more time on marketing than I do on the thing I love and that is making my jewellery. Start small and see how it grows by building up a repeat customer base and see how you go.
I am about 6 years into my business now and when I am still burning the midnight oil on a Saturday night I wonder what I am doing but I love it. It has to be a love and a passion to keep going with the long days and the ups and downs and there are many of those.
If it is your dream then go for it

Keia
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
The thing about making your living from making jewellery it is not only making designs that people would like to buy but it is finding the customers to buy them. I find that I spend far more time on marketing than I do on the thing I love and that is making my jewellery. Start small and see how it grows by building up a repeat customer base and see how you go.
I am about 6 years into my business now and when I am still burning the midnight oil on a Saturday night I wonder what I am doing but I love it. It has to be a love and a passion to keep going with the long days and the ups and downs and there are many of those.
If it is your dream then go for it

Absolutley true Jade. It does feel like all hard work and no pay-off. But, aslong as there's enjoyment in making the jewellery then all's good =) Hense why it's probably best to "approach it as a hobby" rather than a big earner. Line up all your ducks (don't forget the biggest duck of all - HRMC) then take each day with it as it comes. Best of luck with it Mya =)