PDA

View Full Version : The next step...?

kaz
09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm thinking about buying a rolling mill and workbench and taking it a bit more seriously. Been selling some pieces for firends and family and making a nice little side income as well as having a good time and achieving a rather healthy level of self confidence as a result of my relative success.

Thinking about stepping it up a level. I have all the basics. Is it worth me investing in this kind of equipment at this early stage of my 'jewellery making career' lol ???

Any advice would be lovely???

agent_44
09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I guess it depend on what techniques you want to be able to use - I bought a rolling mill earlier this year and have used it just once I am ashamed to say! I finish my full time job next week and it's my plan to master the rolling mill as I got in a right muddle with it last time!

Amethystjewellery
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I spent a lot of money on a rolling mill too....and it is just sitting on the end of my bench gathering dust! :(

MuranoSilver
09-07-2009, 11:35 PM
When you say "have all the basics" what do you consider the basics.
These are some of the things I use most (excluding tools like files,hammers,saws etc)
A proper height workbench (eases back ache and brings things to better visual height)
A bench peg (attached to bench, as above)
Decent Torch for soldering & three solders
A Flex-shaft with polishings attachments, burrs etc
A rotary or Magnetic Tumbler
Mandrels for ring forming
Bangle Mandrel

Yes I have a rolling mill but don't use it hugely as I'm also a Metal Clay artist and that's a much quicker way of introducing texture....
(which is why another vital tool for me is my kiln)

Nicola x

Sheltie
10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
When you say "have all the basics" what do you consider the basics.
These are some of the things I use most (excluding tools like files,hammers,saws etc)
A proper height workbench (eases back ache and brings things to better visual height)
A bench peg (attached to bench, as above)
Decent Torch for soldering & three solders
A Flex-shaft with polishings attachments, burrs etc
A rotary or Magnetic Tumbler
Mandrels for ring forming
Bangle Mandrel

Yes I have a rolling mill but don't use it hugely as I'm also a Metal Clay artist and that's a much quicker way of introducing texture....
(which is why another vital tool for me is my kiln)

Nicola x

These are the tools that I use myself with exception of the flex-shaft I would love a rolling mill but cannot justify it at present. I also like to make things the same way they were about 1200 years ago. So the more basic the tools the better.

Charlotte
15-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I used a rolling mill at uni all the time, and when I started my own business from home I had to make do without one. I personally found while I didn't have the money I could make do with hammers or I just bought the right size metal when needed, I have also adjusted my designs to suit this.

Make a note to yourself when you would use one while you're working, if it seems like its popping up all the time it might be worth it. I've seen some cheap ones on ebay, but I wouldn't know if the quality matches the price!

Ominicci
16-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Ooooh soooooooo want a rolling mill!!!! But seriously don't have ANYWHERE to put it. Have most of basics including those Nicola mentions.