PDA

View Full Version : 'orca' gas torch fittings

spiralcraft
02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi there,

My boyfriend bought me an Orca gas torch from ebay. Not sure if it's genuine but that's fine.
It came with a pink hose that has a screw fitting on one end which I assume with the right adapter can be screwed into a Propane tank but it has nothing on the other end to attach the actual handle onto the hose. In the box with the three different tips there is a fitting that screws onto the main handle with a thin tapered end. Do I put that tapered end straight into the hose? I have tried but it doesn't seem to go in. Am doing the right thing? Is there a special nack to it, or am I missing something?

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but I am a bit stuck!

Thanks in advance!

Dennis
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
No doubt someone will have specific advice for you in the next few days. In the mean time here are links to two past threads about the Orca torch. Dennis.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4539&highlight=Orca+torch

mizgeorge
02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
The small fitting should go straight into the hose - the pink hose is pretty stiff and will need soaking for a while in hot water to loosen it up enough to get the barb in, and you might want to add a lemon clip as well. The propane end may or may not be the right size for your bottle, or might be the right size for a MAPP cannister. If not, you could simply replace it rather than using an adapter, or switch it to a quick release valve. Alternatively, you can buy spare fittings from Sutton Tools.

They're great little torches.

spiralcraft
02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Ok I will try that tomorrow. Thank you for your help! :)

spiralcraft
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Would putting a few drops of oil on it be a bad idea? I am still having trouble with it after soaking it in hot water.

Nat

ps_bond
03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
If it's a rubber hose, then oil will probably degrade it. A drop of washing up liquid (pure soap is better) should help if the barb is going to fit.

spiralcraft
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Ok I wil try that. Thanks :)

spiralcraft
05-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Am I right in saying that if I use a portable propane cannister it will burn hotter than a refillable propane one for this torch?

mizgeorge
05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes, a bit hotter (and cleaner). MAPP is better than regular propane and is very portable - and lasts pretty well. You do have to watch out for the cannister freezing if you use it for extended periods of time though - which can be helped by standing it in a bowl of hot water. I use this option if I'm teaching away from home, but use my regular big cannister at home. I have quick change fittings for this as I also use a little torch (and others), but have a separate dedicated hose and adapter for my MAPP bottle. I got the extra fittings from Suttons.

spiralcraft
06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Think I will just get the fittings for the portable cannister as I am not yet a full time jewellery artist and getting a regular propane tank seems a bit excessive at the moment. I like the idea of it being portable too. Thanks for all your help :)

ps_bond
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
The dinky "handbag" size (3.9kg) propane cylinders aren't bad for convenience or price; the valves on them are better than any of the disposables and they're much less likely to leak. I've had a few disposables empty because the pin valve stopped closing properly.
Your break-even point is pretty good too - a quick check online shows a deposit (only partially refundable - which is probably why you see so many at tips) of £35 and a refill charge of about £15 - given the Bernzomatic-style canisters are £10ish each, you don't have to go through many before you're ahead of the game with a proper cylinder.

spiralcraft
11-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi sorry to bother you all again.

I decided to order the EZ Torch valve for disposable cannisters off Sutton Tools. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the hose the Orca came supplied with.

Does anybody know what the name of the fitting for the hose that I should get that fits the valve from Sutton Tools?

Thanks again

mizgeorge
12-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Sorry, don't know the answer to this one, I just bought a complete piece from Suttons - hose, torch end valve and adapter for MAPP. It wasn't especially cheap, but well worth it for sheer ease of switching over from my big bottle to the disposable.

spiralcraft
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
OK I will call Suttons, thanks for your help again!