PDA

View Full Version : Water of Ayr Stone

Vanessa
26-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know where I can get this from in the UK please? I seem to have come to a deadend looking for this and I'm a little frustrated :(|

Thanks Vanessa
:)

ps_bond
26-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Bridge of Stair?

Unless anyone comes up with a lost batch of stock, I've no idea. I've been trying to find out what's gone on at the quarry, but as I understand it the place is basically not producing anything and hasn't for some time. I know of someone who gathered water-worn stones from the river nearby; my efforts to persuade a friend of mine to go on a rock hound expedition for me haven't been fruitful.

...and now I'm thinking "road trip" :)

mizgeorge
26-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I've tried too. HS Walsh used to have some (only at the showroom though), but I think they're now gone.

There are a couple of possible alternatives though:

http://www.jewel-toolcraft.co.uk/Water-of-Ayre-Type-Stone-3-8-x-5-8-x-3-1-2-inch-apr_AQSNT.aspx

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shah-Stone-replacement-water-Ayr-stone-polishing-Jewellery-Jewellers-/221124589691#vi-content

I'd be up for the road trip Peter - but not in midwinter!!

Vanessa
26-11-2012, 04:02 PM
oh that's disappointing... so it seems it's not available anymore then. What are good available substitutes then do you think?

I cant say I looked that hard I have been on net (as most things are found easily that way) I was only introduced to it this morning and got excited over it (I live a sad life but I cant help it lol)

Vanessa
26-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Great thanks George - I'll look at those sites! V

ps_bond
26-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I'd be up for the road trip Peter - but not in midwinter!!

Ach, it's not that bad this time of year. Glasgow's on the same latitude as Moscow, but the climate's much milder due to the gulf stream IIRC.
Wading around in the river water might be a wee bit bracing though.

Dennis
26-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Here's a confession:

My first teacher doted on Water of Ayr stones and I bought a small one some eighteen years ago. It sill lives in my tool box, hardly used, because while I found that it would rub away small blemishes, it worked very slowly and could leave unwanted hollows.

I have since used various emery boards and flexible nail buffers, sometimes cut to shape, from Boots Health and Beauty. I also like small pieces of Micro Mesh in various grits, glued to wooden coffee stirrers with superglue and then trimmed with a craft knife. Dennis.

ps_bond
26-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I've got a few... I keep trying bits of slate to see if they behave the same, haven't found any yet. There are some Japanese water stones that are supposed to cut in a similar fashion - but the ones available in the UK are a bit too expensive to chop up as an experiment. A nagura stone from Axminster gave some interesting results, but it is much harder than WoA.

The soft nail buffers are a favourite of mine too; I tend to use contact cement on lolly sticks for small sanding sticks - the coffee stirrers at work are too flimsy!

mizgeorge
26-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Completely agree - I buy nail buffers in packs of 100 for really very little and together with micromesh and 3m discs the job's pretty much done. I still wouldn't be without my radial discs though.

Pauline
27-11-2012, 04:35 PM
The road trip could be a good laugh. Is it to Mauchline or Ayr for the stone? Either way, I know pubs for drinking/grub and places for hot coffee in both. Let me know if you are going and if you don't mind me joining.

ps_bond
29-11-2012, 11:19 AM
According to someone who's a tad obsessive about sharpening his straight razors, the Tam o'Shanter hone was quarried at Mauchline, while the WoA came from Bridge of Stair.
He also has a collection of pieces from the banks of the Ayr.

Any road trip will have to wait a wee while - I've got an old friend up in West Kilbride that I'd visit too - but it could happen.

Pauline
30-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds good. Let's revisit the idea when it's warmer weather next year.

lilacmonkey
01-12-2012, 09:11 AM
A road trip upto ayr from here might be a bit to far...but if anyone does go and find any stones,I could do with a piece.

Kimkie
15-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I have just been searching for one of these online as I have lost my treasured one somewhere in the depths under my workbench. I am very disappointed to learn I can no longer buy one from Cooksons, my 'go to' for everything jewellery :(

The Guru
13-04-2014, 09:10 AM
I have Tam O'Shanter / Water Of Ayr stone, a few unused with labels, just sticks though 5 inches long.5961

Martin Tricker
25-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I have some of this

Martin Tricker
28-07-2015, 06:03 AM
I have some w.o.a stone and I also have w.o.a/t.o.a dual hone

ps_bond
28-07-2015, 06:41 AM
So do I. Your point?

Martin Tricker
28-07-2015, 10:17 PM
There for sale if anybody is interested

ps_bond
29-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Then put an advert in the classifieds section, not here. However, the fact that you've not deigned to introduce yourself, you've got zero post history to speak of (and as far as I'm concerned, the fact that you're using a proxy) won't count much towards trusting you as a seller.