PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling Finished Sterling Silver Pieces with Gemstones In

lindab
17-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Hello All,

It is ages since I have been on here and hope you are all exceedingly well.

I would appreciate your assistance please on tumbling silver jewellery with gemstones in the jewellery.

If I use the tumbler with stainless steel mixed shot, etc and put my finished silver jewellery in which I have fixed gemstones, will the tumbling damage the facetting of the gemstones or will the gemstones remain untouched yet still clean the silver? I dare not put anything in the tumbler other than just silver in case I kill the gemstones.

The gemstones are generally amethyst, citrine, ruby, sapphire, but also can be agate, onyx, turquoise, pearls, etc.

Your help would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Linda B

www.jewellerybylinda.co.uk

mizgeorge
17-11-2012, 07:29 PM
As a general rule you can tumble stones that are higher than 5.5 (the hardness of stainless steel) on the mohs scale, unless they are porous or friable or have been treated - so no turquoise, pearls, emerals, opals, kyanite, labradorite etc. Most precious stones are OK though.

lindab
17-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Thank you very much for that advice. Very helpful indeed.

pearlescence
18-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I've put pearls in before now, just to brush up something, and only for a minute or two. They didn't seem to mind

Dennis
18-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I've put pearls in before now. They didn't seem to mind

Probably reminds them of home.

MeadMoon
19-11-2012, 08:50 AM
I read this yesterday while tumbling an ear cuff with a small freshwater pearl (having forgotten to tumble the ear cuff before adding the pearl) and immediately removed the piece from the barrel. Even though it had been tumbling for about an hour, the pearl was still ok so I didn't need to replace it. *phew*

Wallace
20-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Probably reminds them of home.
or just visiting relatives if not the fresh water version!

I have had some in a tumbler as part of some earrings for a refresh - they were only in for about ten mins, on a gentle tumble (much like putting the cold finish on the delicates for a main wash - :D ) that didn't do them any problems. I have tumbled, at great panic an opal in the past... but as they are not porous (except maybe for the Ethopian ones, I am sure I read that recently) it is a matter of getting damaged by the metal and other hard objects that may cause the damage rather than the water.

Calsilica, turquise and Jet really do fall apart really quickly, as George points out. the nearer to the lower end of the moh's scale, the more absorbent they become the sooner they will fall apart and ruin.

lindab
24-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.