PDA

View Full Version : Working with Palladium

theresa
08-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone

I have been asked to quote for one of my ringsets made in Palladium. I have absolutely no experience of this material.
I see that it has a very high melting point. What type of solder would I use? Can I use fine silver for a bezel or is gold better? Will my propane torch work with Palladium? I also see that the price is 20 times that of silver! Help....
Thanks guys
Theresa

Nathanael
08-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi Theresa

You can get palladium solder in grades hard, medium and easy.
because of its high melting point you would need to use at least these.
Also platinum solder would be fine too.
If your torch is hot enough to weld or solder platinum then it will fine.
If not then, have you any experience with soldering 18ct white? It is quite similar to this also only slightly more difficult to work with.

kind ragards,

Nathanael.

Dennis
08-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Or persuade your customer to consider 9ct white gold. It is very durable and works much like silver. it has a slight yellow cast, which I like, but is only really discernible if put next to silver.

It could also be rhodium plated at moderate cost. You would not be winding yourself up with stepping into the unknown for a commission and your customer might appreciate the lower quote.

My assay office form LAO3-02 does not even make provision for hallmarking palladium, in which case it would be a poor investment. Dennis.

Tabby66
08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
A propane torch such as a sievert will not give you a high enough temperature to work in platinum or palladium, you'll need a torch such as the little torch currently being discussed in another thread I think. Just so you know, I have no experience of working in palladium and extremely limited of working in platinum.

Dennis
08-11-2012, 10:47 PM
My assay office form LAO3-02 does not even make provision for hallmarking palladium Dennis.

Sorry, I'm way out of date: http://www.sourcewire.com/news/49264/assay-office-london-marks-first-piece-of-palladium-with-official

theresa
09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you everyone. It gives me something to think about, though at this stage I am going to offer silver or white gold and see what happens.

Theresa