PDA

View Full Version : A video of me handforing hot silver flatware

davidbaggaley
30-10-2012, 01:38 PM
This is a video of me handforging a sterling silver spoon on a anvil while hot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKt5EzU5TiA&feature=plcp&noredirect=1

ps_bond
30-10-2012, 02:41 PM
That's an interesting demo, thank you (although I haven't heard the audio yet - at work, got video but no sound). Not often you get to see people forging silver hot.

A few questions if I may... You're not going much beyond dull red by the looks of things (although cameras often lie); how bad is the firestain formation, and how hot is it by the end of the heat? Unless the anvil's warmed, I would have thought it would suck most of the heat out quite quickly. What weight is the hammer? It could just be foreshortening, but that looks like the sort of thing I'd be using to break down 1" steel stock!

I must repolish my square stake... Neither of my anvils are really suited to that work.

caroleallen
30-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Fascinating to watch. You're very confident with that hammer. I wouldn't worry about the audio Peter unless you like hearing hammer blows!

ps_bond
30-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about the audio Peter unless you like hearing hammer blows!

Music to my ears :)
(or is it tinnitus?)

art925
30-10-2012, 07:19 PM
To watch a smith at work always mesmerises me. I have spent many years at the national and international farrier competitions, I always find it amazing to watch them take a piece of cold steel and create the most amazing customised horse shoes. At the end of the day there is always a free-style competition, where the farriers create a unique piece of art. It is wonderful to watch those forging skills on a piece of silver.

davidbaggaley
30-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi

thankyou for your comments

The silver is taken to a cherry red colour the camera is telling porkies, I dont worry about about the fire stain as the entire piece is filed and sand buffed to remove it all, the starting weight of the spoon is about 3oz, I dont heat the anvil but it will become warm the silver is still very hot after forging but you stop when it becomes hard i normally forge 12 at a time doing one stage on each to keep them all the same etc

this picture is showing the stages on a table fork

Tabby66
30-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Similar to Peter, the 2 things that struck me were the size/weight of the hammer and just how smooth and shiny your anvil is!!

Les, my brother was a farrier until his back gave out (the farriers' curse) a few years ago, he loved his forging and it was mesmerising to watch.....actually he created some beautiful work!!

davidbaggaley
31-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Thee hammer is about 3lb and the anvil is cleaned with emery paper every 1 stage of 12 so about every 30mins never had any problem with my back but my shoulder and wrist will be a problem in future years i think

Dennis
31-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Your thread has drawn lots of interest David, so here are my questions too:

Could we have a picture of a finished spoon, or even place setting?
Filing off fire scale is fine for the accessible places, but how do you do inside the bowls?

Thank you for your video, Dennis.

davidbaggaley
31-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Your thread has drawn lots of interest David, so here are my questions too:

Could we have a picture of a finished spoon, or even place setting?
Filing off fire scale is fine for the accessible places, but how do you do inside the bowls?

Thank you for your video, Dennis.

I dont have a photo of these finished sorry

The fire stain is removed from the inside of the bowl by sand buffing which is a mixture of pumice and oil it can be done while flat or after bowling but normally after bowling

www.davidbaggaley.com

Tabby66
31-10-2012, 09:09 PM
It was the bending to get under horses and to their feet/hooves that did his back in, rather than the actual smithing!! Very tough end to something he loved............but he is now an engineer (unbelievable!!), I guess he now works with metals in other ways....

Tabby66
31-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I dont have a photo of these finished sorry

The fire stain is removed from the inside of the bowl by sand buffing which is a mixture of pumice and oil it can be done while flat or after bowling but normally after bowling

www.davidbaggaley.com

So, presumabely your starting metal thickness takes account of the loss incurred due to firestain too........I guess this must be fairly predictable?? (never is to me on small pieces.......but often one-offs and my skills just don't compare!!)........

ps_bond
31-10-2012, 09:36 PM
It was the bending to get under horses and to their feet/hooves that did his back in, rather than the actual smithing!!

Hmph. Tell me about it... At least all 3 are tucked up & under cover at the moment.

davidbaggaley
31-10-2012, 11:34 PM
So, presumabely your starting metal thickness takes account of the loss incurred due to firestain too........I guess this must be fairly predictable?? (never is to me on small pieces.......but often one-offs and my skills just don't compare!!)........

yes you do have to allow for this i have been doing this for 20 years so quite used to it now

caroleallen
01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
I've just had a look at your website David. Your stuff is lovely but why so cheap?

davidbaggaley
01-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi
my prices are trade i mostly sell to shops and are based on how long it takes to make them if you are looking at the charms and pendants they dont take me long to make and my overheads are quite low

Goldsmith
01-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I've just had a look at your website David. Your stuff is lovely but why so cheap?

My thoughts also Carole, I thought about the labour and polishing times added to the cost of silver and possibly VAT?, I assume that all items weigh less than the hallmark minimum otherwise there would also be hallmark costs, and he also offers free postage. Must be a very slim profit!!

James

davidbaggaley
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
If the item is a plain pendant say 25mm x 20mm and 1mm thick how much would you charge? and how many would you make in a hour

caroleallen
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Ooh, I don't know. I don't make anything that plain - what would be the point? I think it's not really how many you can make in an hour but how many you can sell in an hour.

davidbaggaley
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Ooh, I don't know. I don't make anything that plain - what would be the point? I think it's not really how many you can make in an hour but how many you can sell in an hour.

Most of the pendants and charms on the website are designed to be quick to make and affordable i am very happy with what i charge and make enough money for my lifestyle etc

caroleallen
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
But there's still a lot of work in them and all that piercing can't be that quick. When I said I don't make anything that plain, I didn't mean yours are plain. You're obviously very skilled at what you do. Most of us need to charge a lot more to make a reasonable living.

davidbaggaley
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
me saw piercing a pendant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHKY8LuXktc&feature=plcp

davidbaggaley
01-11-2012, 02:15 PM
this one sells for about £34 gbp

caroleallen
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Impressive.