PDA

View Full Version : Galleries comission

naturallysilver
16-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi Folks
I have been supplying a gallery on a sale or return basis for a few months.We agreed that she would put 100% on my wholesale prices and she has sold some bits. She said there was a price limit on what she could sell so I made my prices really competitive and even let her have one and a lower price than I sell for at craft fairs and Artist open house events. I didn't even increase my prices for getting things hallmarked to kept it competitive. This weekend I happened to be near the gallery and as owner doesn't work on Sun I popped in to see what pieces she had on display. She had got them priced up at 150 and 200% increase on my prices. This makes some of them above her ceiling prices. I supply the items and when she eventutally sells items she makes a huge profit and she has had no initial outlay. I am thinking about getting my things back and looking for another venue. This is the first gallery I have put my work in and as I was new she would only do it sale or return. Has anyone else had this happen? I feel I am being exploited.

caroleallen
16-10-2012, 01:31 PM
That's really naughty of her. That's why it's important to get your sor terms in writing. I think you should speak to her, though I understand what it's like when you're new to the game.

naturallysilver
17-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks Carole. Now all sorts of things are going through my head. What happens if she sells something and here is a fault and it needs repairing or replacing. I could end up making it again and she still keep her profit. I would always replace or refund as I want customer satifaction but what about her share she is hardly going to want to refund. I think I definetely need some kind of terms but where do you start? It looks like a real minefield. Can anyone offer any advice of where I can find this information?

Goldsmith
17-10-2012, 10:35 AM
As Carole says, get any deals in writing. Or if you are happy with the prices that you are setting to the gallery, just make sure that the gallery has responsibility for the costs of any repairs, resizing or alterations of your goods. Technically once the gallery has sold your goods and accepted the money, they have also purchased the goods from you, so they own what they are selling and have responsibility for the costs of any returns.
In the past I have sold some of my goods through London jewellers on SOR terms, and they added up to 400% on my prices. As a rule when pricing goods for SOR I up my profit margins to cover any possible requests for discounts and if they sell I am happy with my profit. Just remember that the costs of running a shop or gallery needs to be met by their profits on any sales of your goods.
James