PDA

View Full Version : Enamelling Newbee

RoyB
15-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi. I'm sure this question has been asked before but here goes. I am totally new to working with metals as my main interest has been wood turning and scroll saw/fretwork but due to health problems have had to change what I work with. I have taken to hand cutting old coins to make into pendants and would like to know if enamels adhere to alloys as coins are very rarely made from one single metal. I have read lots of information but the more I read, the more confused I become. Just to clarify, I have no enamelling equipment so am asking for help before purchasing anything.
Many thanks
Roy

silken
16-10-2012, 02:51 AM
As far as I know, only 1p and 2p coins produced before 1992 have a high copper content, anything after that is copper plated steel (I think). I have never tried to enamel steel, it is possible, but much more difficult but if your coins are all pre 1992 you shouldn't have a problem. The one thing to make sure of before you start enamelling any surface is to ensure that it is clean and grease free and since coins have probably been regularly handled, they'll probably need a good clean. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, pop the coins in there for a while or if not just give them a good scrub and make sure there is no greasy residue or dirt on the surface. After that, the method should be the same as enamelling normal copper. Linda Darty's book 'The Art of Enameling' is a great book to get before you start :)

Even if your coins aren't suitable, you can always grab some old copper pipe, saw it, hammer it flat and cut shapes from it or buy some copper sheet. It's fairly inexpensive and a great place to start enamelling.

fay144
16-10-2012, 12:47 PM
That's something I've never thought about - I'd be really interested to know the answer. 2p pieces would be the perfect size for testing colours, etc. I'll try it this weekend, if I get a chance. I think the pre-1992 coins do contain a bit of zinc though, and I don't think you can enamel on that if the % is too high. At least, I think I read that this was the problem with enamelling brass, which I've never got to work.

ps_bond
16-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I've seen bronze coins enamelled before, particularly pre-decimal pennies and the likes. I wonder if the zinc content is too low to cause much of an issue, or the surface is depleted before enamelling?

http://www.johnenglishgifts.com/enamelcoins.htm
http://www.pennyfactory.com/enameled_coins.htm
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O11544/enamelled-coin-brooch/

RoyB
16-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. Silken, I only ever use pre-decimal coins from the UK and some early coins from around the world. I seem to spend half my time cleaning coins at the moment but now have a pendant drill to ease the task. I think I will have to book onto a course in enamelling as I am finding more questions than answers. I may buy the book as well but I find hands on is the best way for me to learn something. Fay144 I'm not sure if it isn't frowned on the use current currency, that's why I only use coins that are no longer in circulation however I can't see any normal PC wanting to book someone for using a few 1 and 2 pence pieces. The coins in the links Peter are amazing. How can you "paint" onto metal? I said I had no knowledge of enamelling!!!
Thanks again.
Roy